Everything you know if you’re from Powhatan, VA

Let’s go Indians!

You may have heard the name “Powhatan” from the many stories of Pocahontas. Hence our high school’s mascot: The Indian. With a small population of just over 28,000 people, the residents of Powhatan are close-knit; everyone knows everyone. Despite the size of our county, the people are always lively and constantly finding different things to love about Powhatan.

Route 60

U.S. Route 60 is the road that slices west to east directly through Powhatan. To get basically anywhere throughout the county, you’ll have to get onto this road at some point. Watch your speed – everyone gets pulled over constantly for speeding on 60. It’s the cops’ favorite hangout spot.

The Powhatan landscape

No matter where you live in Powhatan, you are always surrounded by trees. It’s no surprise to cross paths with a random animal like an opossum, a gopher or an entire family of deer. Also very common are the numerous fields that speckle Powhatan. Whether it’s a field of corn or a pasture for livestock, you’ll be sure to find one if you’re out.

Football

Football is huge in Powhatan. Our county only has one high school, so the support for our Indians is overwhelming in the fall. Parents, grandparents, younger siblings, and even friends from other counties go to the varsity Powhatan football games at our high school on Friday nights to show off our pride.

Dorset’s Market

This little gas station/convenience store can be found over on the east side of Powhatan near the county line. Located right next to some train tracks and directly across from the Graceland Baptist Church, this market is a necessity for the neighborhoods on this side of the county. Contrary to its size and lack of grandeur, it has everything one could possibly need.

Powhatan Back Roads

A running joke in Powhatan has to do with our many (sometimes sketchy) back roads. Since we drive on these roads basically every single day (with most of the county living in houses right off of these roads), we tend to go a little faster than the speed limit. You’ll hear people bragging about how they got up to 50 mph. In winter, these roads are also the main reason we get out of school. They get covered in ice fast and take forever to thaw. No complaints from the students.

The Village

The Village in Powhatan contains a number of local places to eat, including County Seat and Four Seasons, which are very popular with the west side of the county. Also, all of Powhatan’s parades are held here all throughout the year which bring everyone together.

THE Powhatan Walmart

This recent addition to Powhatan life left everyone in a craze. Probably one of the most exciting things to come to Powhatan, because you previously had to leave the county to find a grocery store other than a Food Lion. Every time you go to into Walmart, there is a 100% chance you will see someone that you know, whether it’s a friend or a teacher or a relative.

Weather

Powhatan people always playfully complain about how Powhatan’s weather is bipolar. One day it will be humid, hot and sunny, and the next day it is rainy and 30 degrees. Make sure to always check the weather before going out, because it is sure to be different every single day.

Bojangles’ and new places in general

Another recent addition has been the cute, little Bojangles’. Anytime Powhatan gets a new place is always an exciting time for the county and it’s all anyone can gossip about for a few months. In the same up-and-coming shopping center as Bojangles’, there is also a new Goodwill and soon other things yet to be determined. Powhatan just keeps growing.

Sheetz

Famous with the high-schoolers in the morning before school or right after, this is a popular chill spot. There’s never a wrong time to swing by and grab a coffee or some Mac ‘n Cheese Bites.

The softball and soccer fields

Whether you actually play or not, there’s a good chance you will come here frequently. Growing up in Powhatan, you will probably play a PYAA sport at some point in your life. Families always meet up here and cheer on their players. Most of the time, a parent of someone you know is your coach.

The Powhatan image

To outsiders, Powhatan is automatically characterized as just a bunch of “red-necks” and “hicks in the sticks.” Just because we are all from a very rural county, people automatically stereotype us. Sure, some of us like hunting. Sure, we may all have farmer’s tans. But we are all much more than this label could possibly assume about us.

The Powhatan family

Being one of the smaller sized counties in Virginia, Powhatan basically forces you to feel as though you are a part of one big family. You grow up with the same people for 12 years, graduate school with them, and even if you leave the county you always stay in touch with the people you’ve grown closest with. When you come back to visit, the familial atmosphere is still very present and it seems as though you never left in the first place. Personally, I am so grateful to be able to call Powhatan my home. The memories, the people, and the places will forever be a part of who I am and I love being able to share this unique connection with my Powhatan family.

James Madison University