I am a Republican, but I refuse to support Trump

Someone please tell me this presidential race was all an elaborate joke

Following this year’s presidential race has been a painful experience. It seems as if voting for a candidate to be in office is like choosing a sickness we are most okay with having. Any person that I respect and support has ended up being booted out of the race. Why, you ask? Trump. That’s why.

I am not usually one to let politics get to me too much, but I do feel strongly that it is our civic duty as citizens of the United States to remain educated and active in the political world. After all, this is the one person who will be running our government for the next four years.

When I first heard that Donald Trump would be running for the 2016 presidential election, I honestly thought it was a joke. Months later and I’m still wondering when I’m going to wake up from this dream that takes place in a world where Trump is legitimately leading the Republican Party.

While I do think that there are in essence good intentions in his ideas, overall his statements hold no real value. He seems to simply make bold statements, with nothing to back them up and no way to follow through on them.

Trump encourages ill-informed, racist values, which is absolutely unacceptable. When referring to the Hispanic immigrants of our country, he says, “They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists… And some, I assume, are good people.” To generalize an entire population of people the way that he did is completely uncalled for. Saying that “some” are good people is a bold statement coming from a man who I do not believe has the highest moral code. In discussing economics, Trump stated, “Laziness is a trait in the blacks. … Black guys counting my money! I hate it,” shortly after saying, “The only kind of people I want counting my money are little short guys that wear yamakas every day.” If this isn’t racial stereotyping at its core, what is?

He also seems to thoroughly enjoy putting down women any time he gets the chance. Saying that, “Rosie O’Donnell’s disgusting both inside and out. You take a look at her, she’s a slob…she’ll say anything that comes to her mind” is not only absurdly rude, it’s ironic. I don’t think that I have seen a man with a weaker filter than Trump, yet he boldly calls others out on this.

His most recent stunt has shocked many Americans, as he callously compared his own wife with that of his opponent, Ted Cruz. Both of these women are beautiful, and should never be put in the middle of such an intense debate to be compared as objects on display. The way that Trump treats and refers to women is incredibly offensive and should not be put up with.

I understand why Trump does have quite a large following, due to his impressive business skills and hardheaded nature, which many believe is just what this country needs- someone who isn’t afraid to take action and make real change. As I stated earlier, Trump does make some good points, such as improved support for veterans and American workers, I only wish he were not the one making those points. Yes, it is important to have a strong leader who is not afraid to get things done, but that person must do so with integrity and respect, neither of which are virtues that Trump exudes. I’m not sure that being more violent and stubborn toward other nations is really “what this country needs,” it will only cause greater issues in already tense situations globally.

Despite my dislike of Trump as a presidential candidate, I respect the opinions and stance of my peers and citizens. Having the freedom to choose who you want to be in office is part of what makes America great, so I see a diverse candidacy as a sign of a prospering democracy.

Do I believe Trump should be the one making this election so intense and diverse? Quite frankly, no, I do not. But that is simply one opinion out of millions of other voices.

What I do know is that no matter who ends up in office, he or she will be used to do God’s will. He knows exactly who will be sitting in the White House once all is said and done, and He will move through that person no matter what. So although it has been a stressful and lively election season, we have to trust that whoever is president will be the intended person for the job.

James Madison University national-us