Why SafeRides is the greatest thing to ever happen to JMU

540-JMU-RIDE

SafeRides is student run, non-profit organization whose mission is to create a safer community for the city of Harrisonburg, prevent drunk driving by educating JMU students and provide free and anonymous rides home for JMU students every Friday and Saturday night.

The group was established at JMU in 2003 and began offering rides in 2007. Since, the organization has given out over 74,000 rides!

It’s free! 

Yes, you read that right! SafeRides will never ever charge a cent you for getting you home safe.

Hidden fees aren’t a thing – even if you puke in the car. (And no, this has never personally happened to me).

However, if you absolutely insist, donations will be accepted and 100% of it will be given to the organization.

Your ride is completely anonymous 

SafeRides doesn’t ask for more than my first name and an address. They do ask to see your JAC Card, but that’s only to make sure you’re the person who called and that you’re a JMU student.

But even if it wasn’t anonymous, you shouldn’t hesitate to give them a call. It’s just like calling a pledge or texting that kid who posted about $5 sober rides on Facebook. There is nothing to be ashamed off! The university will never know and you’ll be saving five bucks!

The drivers don’t judge you for drinking 

They’re college students just like you and have sworn to keep all rides confidential. All they want to do is get you home safe. Plus, they’re super friendly and will be all ears when you start to drunkly cry about your BF who wouldn’t come home with you.

Oh, and you don’t have to be intoxicated to get a free ride. You can call SafeRides from anywhere – from the library at two in the morning, from Wal-Mart, from that frat house bathroom you’re currently hiding in with six other biddies. It doesn’t matter where you are or how late it is, SafeRides will always come and get you.

You can request a driver 

I’ve personally only taken SafeRides once (because I’m a boring college student who rarely goes out), but I felt way more comfortable about the ride once I knew a friend of mine would be the one to pick me up.

They always arrive on time 

Forget waiting for a cab! Yes, sometimes the waiting list for SafeRides get a bit long, but they still some how manage to come get you super fast.

Everyone is treated as an equal 

All rides start at 10:00 p.m. and end at 3:00 a.m. There are no exceptions on who gets picked up first. When someone calls, their name will automatically go on a list and will have to wait their turn just like everyone else.

Their drivers are really passionate about what they do 

Sophomore driver Julia Lewis said: “I got involved second semester of my freshman year because I was feeling lost at JMU and I wanted to find my place while also giving back to the community.

“SafeRides was the perfect blend of service and friendship. The organization is built allows for great friendships and bonds while also providing a great service to the community!

“Everyone being so close actually allows us to operate better and serve the community.”

Junior Yasmine Maggio said: “My favorite part about SafeRides is being able to be a part of a family that consists of so many different people, yet everyone still shares the same passion for serving the JMU and Harrisonburg communities.”

They do so much more than just drive you home 

Members of SafeRides not only serve the students of JMU, but go beyond campus lines and strive to give back to the surrounding community of Harrisonburg.

They’re on social media

Follow them now on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook!

SafeRides is located on the first floor of the Student Success Center by the Dunkin’ entrance, so make sure you give them a visit.

James Madison University