An open letter to upcoming JMU freshmen

What to pack and how to act your first year at JMU

To all you graduating high school seniors/transfer students,

On behalf of JMU, we welcome you this summer for your orientations and this fall to start your educational experience. While you’re preparing yourself for this big step, getting super excited to experience a university for the first time, take some notes from an upcoming fifth-year-senior.

Don’t bring every single thing from home

Take it from someone who’s done it couple of times: moving sucks. You don’t want to add more junk to lug up and down those stairs if you don’t need it. This is especially true if you’ll be living in a dorm–there’s just not space enough to store all that stuff. If you’re in a dorm, keep in mind your closets are small; you’ll be going home for Thanksgiving break (which is a full week at JMU, if you didn’t know, whoop, whoop!), Christmas break, Spring break, and of course, Summer break – you can always trade out your clothes/shoes/books/CDs.

Bring a fan

Dorms like Chandler don’t have the best air conditioning and you can’t control it in your room. Bring a fan or you’ll be miserable when they turn on the heat before the winter weather hits. By the same token, bring plenty of blankets with different degrees of thickness. By bringing one of each, you’re assured to have warmth (by whatever combination of blankets necessary) whilst not taking up too much space.

If you don’t have a car, bring/invest in a bike and download the JMU bus app

Campus is rather large and hilly, just like most of Harrisonburg. There are bike lanes everywhere, so you’re pretty much guaranteed to get where you need to go via bike or bus. The JMU bus app will prove to be a lifesaver, since you won’t have to keep up with the paper bus schedule.

They also update the schedule if the bus is running late. Though they can some times be annoying, they’re a life saver when you don’t have a car or have to get from main campus to east campus quickly (or vice versa).

Invest in some rain boots, umbrella, and/or rain jacket

It rains a lot here in the Shenandoah Valley, and for days on end. Certain areas of campus have a tendency to flood (don’t worry, they give you ample warning to avoid such areas) and the whole campus becomes a slushy, puddly mess. You’ll want some good galoshes or water-resistant shoes and to check the weather every morning before you leave. If you live on campus, this isn’t as necessary since you could always walk back to your dorm, but if you’re living off campus, that’s a little more difficult. I recommend Puddletons Packable Rain Boots, because they fold up easily and can be packed in your backpack in case of rain. As far as umbrellas are concerned, it’s much easier to tote around the mini umbrellas that can be stored in your backpack (a tip for when they’re wet: grab a grocery bag from Market 1 and wrap that baby up; boom, your stuff stays dry) than the big ones.

Invest in a good backpack

The Backpack of Holding from ThinkGeek.com

A good lesson I learned from my father is that it’s always cheaper to invest in a quality item the first time around than buy a cheap one and it break in a month. Now, quality and expensive are not synonymous, take your time and do your research. A quality backpack will last you all four (or five) years.

Dress appropriately

I’m not trying to channel your parents, but this is another lesson I learned from experience. It’s really not worth it to “look cute” by wearing a mini-skirt in any weather below 40 degrees. It’s Virginia, it’s windy. You can look just as cute or hot in skinny jeans or leggings and be warmer. Take care of yourselves.

By the same token, wear appropriate shoes or bring them with you. As previously stated, campus is hilly and the quad sidewalks are uneven bricks–it’s not worth it to wear heels. If you need/want to wear heels, bring tennis shoes or fast flats with you. Your feet will thank you.

The cleaning staff is not your mother

Pick up after yourselves, throw your trash away, and, for gods’ sake, use proper bathroom etiquette. The sinks are there for a reason: to wash your hands. If you’re in a common dorm, fellas, show some curtesy and set the seat back down on the toilet when you’re done and ladies, be smart and look before you sit. If you make a mess, clean it up. You’re adults now – no one is going to pick up after you, but you.

The professors won’t spoon feed the information to you

You’ll have to pay attention in class and take good notes. Not every professor makes powerpoint presentations, outlines, or study guides. If you don’t know how to pick out what’s important in a lecture, I suggest you ask your English teacher note-taking advice. I’m sure they’d be happy to assist. Don’t expect your college professors to make study guides or tell you exactly what will be on the test; few professors do that, and if you’re lucky enough to have one, cherish it.

Don’t behave like you’re entitled to everything, you’re not and you’re making a bad name for all college students if you act that way.

The truth of the world is you’re entitled to nothing more than what is truly yours. You’re not entitled to an extension, rule bending, or anything of the sort. If  they are nice enough to help you, count yourself lucky and show your gratitude. And always, always, ALWAYS thank the bus drivers.

Take advantage of office hours

The most important lesson you can learn in your first year is that the professors are there to help you. Contrary to popular belief, they don’t want you to fail. They want you to learn, broaden your horizons, and grow as a person. However, they can’t help you if you don’t ask them your questions. They’re intelligent and resourceful, but they aren’t psychic. Take advantage of the office hours they offer and their emails; when you have a paper coming up, run your topic by them; ask them questions when you’re confused. It’s very crucial that you understand the information you’re getting in your classes. After all, the point of college is to prepare you for a career and if you don’t understand the knowledge and skill you’re being given, you won’t understand it later down the road when it’s vital that you do.

Watch where you’re walking

As you will probably learn within the first week of driving in Harrisonburg, divers don’t pay the best attention around here and kind of drive like maniacs. It’s very important that you watch where you’re walking. Don’t walk when the sign shows the little hand at intersections – it’s there for a reason.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help with anything

If you have food allergies, don’t be afraid to ask the what’s in the food your getting. The staff at JMU is very knowledgeable when it comes to allergies and will help you get what you need. If you’re lost, don’t be afraid to ask for directions – most people on campus are kind enough to instruct you as best they can. If you don’t understand something in class, don’t be afraid to ask your professors or even other students for some assistance.

Study groups can be beneficial, when you all do equal work

Study groups can be very beneficial. You can get notes you may have missed, understand things better, and just practice the material in preparation for the test. However, when everyone doesn’t do their fair share of the work, they become stressful and can hinder your studying. Make sure everyone in your study group is accountable for their own work so that everyone gets something out of the group.

Manage your time wisely

I’m not naive enough to think that none of you will party, but when you do, be smart about it. The cops do have a tendency to raid parties, especially if they get too loud. Be smart. There’s no point losing financial aid or scholarships over a cup of cheap beer, it’s just not worth it. In a your friend’s basement at home is one thing – that’s a safe environment. In a party a lot of things can go wrong. Be safe. And keep in mind, you’ll pay for it in the morning.

Don’t buy things you can’t afford

If there’s one thing my grandfather taught me, it’s to be frugal. Don’t purchase too many frivolous things; you’ll end up broke and sad. When all your friends are going out to eat and you’re broke because you just had to buy that cute top, you’ll understand what I mean. Just be smart with your purchases and set yourself a budget and you’ll be fine.

Above all, have fun

College is a time for new experiences and new adventures. Spend your time wisely. Explore Harrisonburg’s many parks, trails, and beautiful nature scenes. Take a trip to Reddish Knob, Lake Shenandoah, or just walk around main street. Make new friends, meet new people, listen to their stories, and learn new things. You can learn so much from just hearing a life experience different than your own.

We can’t wait to meet you, our little Baby Dukes! Enjoy your last year of high school, have fun, and get excited!

J   M   U

DUUUUUUUKES

James Madison University