Like many others, I’m scared for my immigrant family

What happens now?

As a Latina woman and American citizen with a family of immigrants, I am worried and afraid of the future. I am anxious as to what may happen to all the immigrant families with little kids. Many people are trying to reassure me that Trump’s plan to build a wall or deport thousands of immigrants won’t go in effect.

But how do we know that for sure? Months ago, we were so sure that Trump wouldn’t be elected President of the U.S., and look where we are now.

My mother and two brothers.

I saw tears and faces that showed anxiety and sadness. I cried by myself and with others. It was almost like something was ripped apart from us. I had friends asking me “What now?” or “How could this happen?” and I couldn’t answer that question.

Trump has proposed plans against immigration, refugees, Planned Parenthood, climate change, and women.

Now, this is not to say that Clinton is not flawed. We, too, were afraid of Clinton bringing us to war with Russia again, innocent children being killed under her watch, her email scandal and many lies that could hurt our country. But, Trump is a man of corruption.

This kind of corruption had led to many communities feeling afraid for what’s to come. I, as many others, are afraid of being silenced. I am afraid to see many immigrant families and friends face deportation when all they ever searched for was freedom. It takes a lot more than just Donald Trump to make this happen, but the election results left many of us with no hope.

As many protestors take the streets of different cities around America to fight against racism, hate and Trump, we must respect their courage and resilience. We are hurting and it’s going to be a difficult term for a lot of Americans. I hurt for the people who are weeping, who feel unsafe, and who feel like they’ve lost their rights as human beings.

Peaceful rally against Trump in the Ithaca Commons in Ithaca, NY 

The presidential election of Donald Trump is nothing less than a tragedy for the American Constitution and the people. It’s a triumph for the forces, authoritarianism, misogyny, sexism and racism. Trump is an un-educated man who will not only set markets tumbling but will also strike fear into the hearts of the vulnerable, the weak, and the many groups of ‘Other’, whom he has so deeply insulted over time. The African-American Other. The Hispanic Other. The Jewish and Muslim Other. The female other.

On January 20, 2017, we will bid farewell to the first African-American President—a man of integrity, dignity, and generous spirit—and witness the inauguration of a man who did little to get to where he is now. It is impossible to react to this moment with anything less than revulsion and profound fear.

But in the words of Martin Luther King Jr., “If you can’t fly, then run. If you can’t run, then walk. If you can’t walk, then crawl. But whatever you do, you have to keep moving forward.”

Ithaca College