Meet JR Zazzara, the Bombers’ Division I recruit

Division I was ‘less about the game’

Joseph Zazzara, a junior Business Administration major from Syracuse, has made a lot of transitions throughout his athletic college career.

Zazzara started off by playing Division I lacrosse at Syracuse University, but transferred to the University at Buffalo to be the Division I football team’s quarterback during his junior year in high school.

Zazzara said that he wanted to chase after the passion, love and camaraderie for football, which attracted him to IC’s football team. He is now the wide receiver for the Bombers football team.

Jr Zazzara playing football at the University at Buffalo

Why would you transfer to IC from a D-1 school?

Football has always been a very important thing in my life. It’s the little things that matter and Division I football doesn’t have that. It was always about the cameras, the money and the fame, but less about the game.

I wanted to play for the little things again – the camaraderie, the heart and the tradition. The leaders of the team really exemplify what it means to be a Bomber, and I always said it didn’t matter where I was playing — I just wanted to play for the right reasons, and Ithaca had it all right here.

What was it like coming from a D-1 school to IC?

What I like about IC is the closeness and the family aspect that’s here. When I lost one of my close friends in the spring semester, it set me back to thinking about the little things in life that really matter and translating that to the game of football. I’ve been here for a month and I can see 30 people that I know everyday.

It’s nice to be at a school with 20,000 people but when you got 8,000 that are all your homies, that’s a great thing. It doesn’t matter what division you play in or how many people are in the stands watching. Sometimes you realize it isn’t that stuff that ultimately puts a smile on your face. What matters is that you’re at a place that lets you fulfill the reasons you play this game that I love.

Zazzara’s close friend and former teammate at the University at Buffalo, Solomon Jackson passed away in February due to a complication from a medical emergency during an off-season workout.

Solomon Jackson, Courtesy of Zazzara’s facebook page.

How Solomon’s death influenced you?

In ways that I can’t even describe. It’s sad that the people who leave are the ones that shouldn’t. He had that smile, he played with passion and with heart. He carried himself in a way where I strived to be like him. I wear a band on my arm to support him – 41 was his number. He sticks with me and it’s a reminder everyday that this game can be taken away and your life can be taken away. What you do with your life matters so much. Sometimes it’s too late to look back.

You recently had surgery. What kind of challenges has it presented?

I broke my knuckle and it split in half. When I found out exactly what my diagnosis was and the doctor said I had to have surgery, he said I was going to be out six to eight weeks with full immobility. I was not okay with that and I don’t take sitting out easily.

I got right into the doctor and told him that if I had to have surgery, they should do it as soon as possible because I was going to play.

After the one week follow-up, the Wednesday before we played Hobart, I still had my stitches in and told him that I was going to play. He said I was crazy but I told him I could play…I was still able to make a few catches and keep going.

Zazzara and his mother

What do you think the differences between lacrosse and football are?

Football has the 11 guys that are fighting for each other and doing everything they can to just get their brothers back. The camaraderie and the togetherness of football can’t be found on any other teams. Some people disagree with that, but for me personally, being a part of something special is more important to me.

Zazzara and some of his IC football teammates.

What kind of support did you receive when you transitioned from lacrosse to football and transferred to IC?

When I committed to lacrosse, my dad looked at me and said ‘I thought you wanted to play football?’ It wasn’t a ‘Congratulations’, but he was right. When I was in ninth grade, I thought it would be cool. But I actually got a lot of flack from people for leaving lacrosse and so many people said I was better at lacrosse. But there’s no game like football.

Ithaca College