The unbreakable rules of Cyclone Basketball

There’s nothing quite like Hilton Magic

When cold temperatures come back to Iowa, it means one good thing for the Iowa State faithful – Cyclone Basketball is back. While everyone loves tailgating and the warm weather, recently Iowa State Football hasn’t given us much to cheer for. But, when that cold weather comes it brings with it arguably Iowa State’s most exciting sport.

Cyclone Basketball is all about earth shattering dunks, three pointers raining from all over the building and most importantly, Hilton Magic. Things will certainly be different this year without everyone’s favorite, Georges Niang, but this year’s Cyclones will be ready to compete with everyone. When the mind-numbing cold comes in early November, Cyclone Basketball and the rules of its faithful will be back.

Rule #1: Show up early and ready to cheer

Whether it’s a reasonable 40 degrees or 30 below zero, the true Cyclone fans show up hours, if not days ahead of time to get the prime seats in Hilton Coliseum. Seating in the student section is first-come first-serve. Therefore, if you want the best seats for the big-time games against foes like Iowa, Kansas and Oklahoma, you have to be in line outside of Hilton in the cold. Last year, students (including myself) camped out in the cold for a week before the Kansas game, and people waited for multiple days for the Oklahoma and Iowa games. Don’t be stupid though. If you’re going to be loyal and wait in the cold, dress warm, bring blankets and even tents if you’re camping. Hot chocolate, food and alcohol also help you stay warm, and make friends so people will share their resources with you.

Rule #2: Do not, under any circumstances wear anything other school’s clothing

Cyclone Basketball is like a religion to many, especially students. If you are in the student section, I highly recommend wearing cardinal and gold. You will be heckled and booed by the surrounding fans if you wear something else. Going with that, even if you don’t wear cardinal and gold, do not under any circumstances wear Iowa or Kansas clothing. We’ll just say that you won’t be treated very kindly, especially if that’s who is in town to play that day.

Rule #3: Coordinate your clothing with what the rest of Cyclone Alley is wearing

Not every game has a fan specific color to wear, but many do. It is not that big of a deal if you don’t wear the proper attire for that game, but you will stick out from all over the arena and on TV since most Cyclone games are on the ESPN network. And plus, Gold Outs and Cardinal Outs make things more fun. The team usually coordinates their uniform color with the crowd and announces it a few days beforehand so everyone is prepared.

Rule #4: If the floor below you is not shaking, you’re not loud enough

Before the game, the “Cyclone Power” chant breaks out around the entire arena and makes it impossible to hear anything. With that, when good things are happening on the court, whether it’s a comeback or adding to a lead, Hilton is usually going crazy, which just adds to the fact that your ears will be ringing after the game. Hilton Coliseum has proven itself to be one of the most difficult places to play at in the country, so if you don’t feel the floor shaking below you, you’re not doing enough to help our team win.

Rule #5: Respect the threes and free throws

If the opposing team is shooting free throws, your job is to make as much noise as possible to make sure they don’t make them. On the opposite end, if the Cyclones are shooting free throws, put your hands up, wiggle your fingers with the rest of the crowd and be as quiet as possible so our guys can concentrate. And when our boys Matt “Ice-man” Thomas and Nazareth “Three-sus” Mitrou-Long are raining three pointers, you better be putting up the three pointer sign and cheering them on so they keep the magic flowing.

Rule #6: Respect the legends, but appreciate the magic in front of you

Everyone knows the stories of Fred Hoiberg, Jeff Grayer and Georges Niang, but even the guys who will never get their jerseys hung in the rafters of Hilton need to be appreciated. Whether they’re in a Cyclone uniform as a transfer for one or two years or all four, every player needs to get the credit they deserve for helping preserve the magic of Hilton Coliseum.

Rule #7: Fred may not be our coach anymore, but never disrespect The Mayor

Fred Hoiberg has long been Iowa State’s golden boy. The Ames native chose Iowa State over other offers to play college basketball and football. The Mayor and Johnny Orr helped preserve the magic in Hilton in their three years together, and it continued with a new coach in Fred’s senior year. When Fred came back to coach, some criticized the decision because he had no coaching experience at any level. But the former NBA player brought back Hilton Magic and led to one of the greatest stretches of Cyclone Basketball in history that have continued even with new coach Steve Prohm. The Mayor may be in Chicago with the Bulls now, but never disrespect the legend and the man who brought the magic back to Ames.

Rule #8: No matter how much they may be down by, never rule out a comeback

Hilton Magic is real, and if you don’t believe that, you’re lying to yourself. Johnny Orr arrived in Ames in 1980 and spent a few years building a good team, and from there, Hilton Magic was born. Hilton is built in a way that holds sound, so when things are going right and the crowd is loud, it is nearly impossible for other teams to play in the arena. Hilton has seen epic comebacks (Oklahoma in 2015 anybody?) and upsets of top ranked teams. The most recent big-time upsets came last season when the Cyclones upset number one ranked Oklahoma and number four ranked Kansas. Court storms are great after upsets and comebacks, but the sweetest victories are over Kansas when we prove our worth and don’t court storm, even after epic Matt Thomas dunks.

Regular season basketball returns to Ames on November 11, and you can be safe to assume that Hilton will be rocking.

Iowa State University