What it’s actually like to be a double major

Before you pick up that other major, read this

Double majoring: the words that can make any college student cringe. Why would you take on twice the classwork when you don’t have to? Being a double major myself has come with some challenges, but nothing short of a learning experience. If you’re planning on adding that English or chemistry major you’ve been thinking about, here are some things to consider.

Why would you need two majors to get a job?

“What are you planning to do with that?” If we knew what we want to do with our lives, we would most likely have one major. As a double major, I personally have a lot of interest in both my majors. I have had a deep passion for performing arts all my life, but also love watching news and learning about current events. Some of us don’t know exactly where we want our career path to be just yet. I think of double majors as sort of a Venn diagram. You could get a job in one of two majors, or you can get one that marries the two. With all the options it’s nearly impossible to pin point one career path, and college doesn’t make you choose one either.

Working in different settings within your majors is really important

Join the club

To be the, “well-rounded” marketable student that everyone wants to hire right out of college it’s important to join clubs/ have jobs within your major. Or that’s at least what your parents and teachers say. Classes can only teach so much, whereas clubs and jobs give you the hands-on experience. As much fun as clubs are, they are sometimes over whelming and make someone question their choice to double major. It’s all about knowing when to sign up or skip off. It’s all about balancing. Once you figure that out, you are golden. No pressure, right?

Scheduling can be a nightmare

Some people might say majors are like children – you can’t pick a favorite. I disagree. Double majors fluctuate to whatever their schedule is. Some semesters will be flooded with one of your major’s classes and the other major takes the back burner. You also have to consider when you want to graduate. Can you get all your core classes done in four years? It’s close to impossible to get it all in done in four years or less. It’s sad, but it’s the truth. My advice is to plan at least two major classes in each semester. When you do that you can stay in the loop, hone in those skills and are closer to graduating on time.

A taste of what a double major’s schedule is

Tick tock, tick tock.

Time, management: a skill every student needs to eventually learn. Double majoring means double the work, so time management is essential. With two sets of homework to do and classes to take you need to make sure you have enough time to do the two sets of homework you have in your different majors. Compartmentalizing is key.

Even though there might be challenges it’s nothing you can’t handle. Even though having two different majors is crazy, it is also insanely fun. Double majors have the perk of getting two sets of friends and it keeps you on your toes.

So yes, double majoring can be a headache sometimes, but it is something I don’t regret.

Iowa State University