Van B’s is Iowa City’s ultimate pregame bar

Home of the $15 fishbowl

A new bar has arrived in Iowa City and we're convinced it's a soon to be favorite.

As of last Thursday, Brew Lab on East Washington Street is now home to Van B's Brewery, IC's newest spot for drinkers and food lovers alike.

This bar and restaurant has an all American vibe to its stylish interior, huge bar and not one, but TWO patios. Van B's offers a quiet place to eat and study during the day and lots of space perfect for drinking with friends at night.

One of the two patios at Van B's

One of the two patios at Van B's

We spoke to Elle Van Gundy, a bartender at Van B's and sister of the owner, Jason Mellinger. Elle's family is from Washington, Iowa, where they own another bar called Pipeliners.

"Van B's is definitely not your typical college bar," Elle told us. "From our food to our drinks, we have more to offer than just burgers, pizza and cheap wells."

Elle Van Gundy, 20, from Washington, Iowa

Van B's is home to some of the coolest cocktails Iowa City has to offer. For just $15, you can enjoy nine colorful rainbow shots, all served up in a single pour.

Van B's signature rainbow shots

Van B's signature rainbow shots

On top of that, Van B's serves the king of drinks, the $15 fishbowl. This monster is so huge, its supposed to be shared with friends. For an extra $10 you can fill that fishbowl with top shelf liquor to really make your night an exciting one.

From left to right, the Golden Hot Shot, Grape Ape and Punch Love Fishbowls

"We also make it a point to support local businesses," Elle said. "So instead of just the same old domestics, we have eight local beers on tap, all from Iowa breweries."

From left to right, Arms Race from Big Grove, ReUnion Lager, Generations White Ale from John's Grocery, Sutliff Cider, 2 Alarm Red and Burnout Brown from Firetrucker Brewery, Blonde Fatale from Peace Tree Brewing Co. and Workman's Compensation from Lion Bridge Brewing Co.

The only downside to Van B's is that they have to close at midnight, so you'll probably only be starting your night at this new bar. Unless you're a freshman, of course.

Thanks to an Iowa City ordinance, new bars are not allowed to stay open past 12 a.m. That means new businesses like Van B's won't be open late like IC's other popular drinking spots, which normally close at 2 a.m.

Never fear, this doesn't mean you can't have a good time at Van B's. So this weekend, kick off your night out by starting at Van B's and go grab a fishbowl. Just make sure you bring enough friends to share it with!

University of Iowa bars Iowa City nightlife University of Iowa van b's brewery