Iowa baseball team holds mid-game hot dog eating contest

If you didn’t get a ballpark hot dog did you even go to a baseball game?

Any baseball fanatic will tell you that no trip to the ballpark is complete without enjoying a hot dog or two. For Iowa players Zach Fricke and Austin Guzzo, this is especially true.

While head coach Rick Heller was being interviewed during the Hawkeyes’ Saturday game against the Minnesota Gophers, Fricke and Guzzo held a hot dog eating contest, right in the dugout.

Coach Heller was completely unaware of what his players were up to right behind him on camera during his interview. Pinch-hitter Austin Guzzo can be seen scarfing down FIVE hot dogs, making us wonder how his stomach felt during playing time later in the game.

Despite the 9-3 loss to the Gophers, Hawkeye baseball made history the very next day winning their first ever Big Ten Championship title. The Hawkeyes took down Northwestern 13-4 on Bart Kaufman Field at Indiana University on Sunday May 28.

As a result of their win, the Hawkeyes are now headed to the NCAA Regionals in Houston, Texas. Make sure to catch their game this Friday June 2 at 7 p.m. as they face the University of Houston Cougars. Go Hawks!

University of Iowa Austin Guzzo Big Ten Championship 2017 Hawkeye baseball hot dogs Houston Cougars Minnesota Gophers NCAA regionals 2017 Rick Heller University of Iowa Zach Fricke