Fun and affordable things to do in Iowa City over summer break

Whether it’s your first or last summer in IC, you can always have some fun

Now that the school year has ended, Iowa City resembles a ghost town and you’re probably thinking, “What am I supposed to do now?” There are no more football or basketball games, most of your friends have gone home or have gotten summer jobs, and there are now more families than college kids in the Ped Mall.

To keep you from spiraling into complete boredom, here are all the fun and inexpensive ways to spend your summer vacation in Iowa City.

Hang out with your friends at home

Since staying in Iowa City means either renting out your own or subleasing someone else’s apartment/room, there’s always one friend who has a porch, patio or backyard. So grab a couple lawn chairs, game of bags and maybe even grill and spend the entire day kicking back, eating burgers and making some great memories.

Picking up where we left off ?

A post shared by El ? (@ellevangundy21) on May 14, 2017 at 11:19am PDT

Spend the day at Lake MacBride

Most people think that just because you’re in Iowa you can’t lay out at the beach, but boy are they wrong. Lake MacBride in Solon, Iowa (about a 30 minute ride from IC) is the perfect beach substitute. There you can lay out in the sand, rent out a boat and even go for a fun hike.

Hang out on a restaurant patio

Downtown IC is full of hot patio spots for you to eat out and enjoy the nice weather. So spend a day on the patio sipping some coffee (or a fruity cocktail), soak up the sun and get a great view of downtown.

Officially obsessed with our huge new patio! Be sure to stop by and enjoy a drink or food from @heirloomsaladco while basking in the ☀️Stay energized during ALL the fun @missioncreek events today!! #patio #springtime #needmyjava #supportlocal

A post shared by The Java House (@thejavahouseic) on Apr 8, 2017 at 8:36am PDT

Explore the Farmers Market

If you’re an early bird, this one is for you. Wednesdays and Saturdays Iowa City has its very own Farmers Market. There you can find a variety of goods, from fresh produce to candy and even homemade crafts. Enjoy a relaxing morning stroll while you shop around for products from local Iowa vendors.

Unwind at the local pools

Iowa City has a variety of pools to help you cool down from the summer heat. City Park Pool (open June 3rd) is an outdoor pool, so you can definitely work on that summer tan. If you prefer an indoor pool, visit the Robert E. Lee recreation center (across the street from Cactus) for just as much fun. Both pools are within walking distance of the downtown area and charge only a $4 entry fee!

A post shared by @ziggyzigzigs on Jun 15, 2016 at 1:09pm PDT

Spend a day at College Green Park 

If you’re tight on cash, a day at College Green Park is a fun and inexpensive way to pass time. Whether alone or with a group of friends, you can sit in the grass and lose yourself in your own world of fun. You can even spend some time on the playground and see if you can still get yourself across the monkey bars or swing high enough to touch the sky.

Hoopin ✌?️

A post shared by Mia ✨ (@miabalasi) on Nov 19, 2015 at 10:33am PST

University of Iowa City Park pool College Green Park Iowa City Iowa City Farmers Market Lake MacBride summer break University of Iowa