Iowa student charged with threat of terrorism

Back in November he threatened to ‘bring a gun to the International Programs Office and shoot international students’

University of Iowa student Soliman Obaid B. Altamimi, 25, has been charged with threat of terrorism after UI police say he threatened to bring a gun to graduation.

Altamimi went to the university’s International Programs Office at the University Capitol Center around 11:30 a.m. on Friday May 28 asking to make a speech at this spring’s upcoming graduation ceremony. When staff told him he would not be allowed to give a speech, Altamimi said that he “will bring a gun to the final ceremony.”

According to UI police complaints, Altamimi admitted that he made the statement when officers arrived on the scene.

(Photo special to Press-Citizen)

UI Police records indicate that Altamimi has made similar threats in the past.

Back on November 11, 2016, Altamimi stated he would bring a gun to the International Programs Office and shoot international students.

UI police received a report at the time from another student who shared concerns about additional statements made by Altamimi.

Online court records do not show any charges resulting from the November incident.

Sarah Norvell, 20, a student from Ames, Iowa, was shocked by the news of Altamimi. Altamimi is Norvell’s boyfriend’s neighborhood and friend. She said Altamimi’s actions and arrest seem extremely out of character.

“He’s a really shy and sweet person,” Norvell said. “He’s incredibly patient, he works with kids with autism. I’ve never heard him say anything about guns or violence, I could never even imagine him being violent.”

“All Soliman ever talks about are the kids he works with. ‘His kids.’ He had me help him with a presentation once for one of the classes he was teaching and he stumbled over every word. I don’t think he could even give a speech to anything more than a classroom full of kids.” Norvell said about Altamimi’s said desire to give a speech at the graduation ceremony.

Altamimi has been charged with third-degree harassment, a simple misdemeanor punishable by up to 30 days in jail. Threat of terrorism is a class D felony punishable by up to five years in prison.

Altamimi is currently being held in the Johnson County Jail on a $12,000 bond.

University of Iowa International Programs Office Iowa City Soliman Obaid B. Altamimi threat of terrorism University Capitol Center University of Iowa