U of I alum Abby Sevcik releases newest song

The 2016 Iowa graduate continues to make strides in the music world

Music career for U of I alumna Abby Sevcik began at the age of seven and has since then skyrocketed.

After moving to Washington D.C. to work at the Carnegie Institution for Science, the 2016 graduate signed a record deal with Chrome City Records, joined a band and today releases her newest song ‘Open Windows, Closed Doors,’ along with a music video.

abby sevcik

Cover art by Abby Sevcik

Sevcik’s newest hit is available for download on iTunes, can be streamed on Spotify or found on her SoundCloud.  You can watch the video here.

The inspiration for the song came from past experiences while Sevcik was attending college and living in Nashville, Tennessee before transferring to The University of Iowa to major in Communications. The singer/songwriter never anticipated an audience hearing it, but after receiving positive feedback felt the song was relatable enough to release.

abby sevcik

Photo by Alisabeth Von Presley at TINT

Former Kappa Alpha Theta sister Kathleen Fallon choreographed and co-directed the video for Sevcik’s newest release which was filmed on Iowa’s campus. Fallon helped recruit both dancers, U of I student Shannon Hartle and high school student Brittlyn Taylor. Another Iowa student, Taylen Anderson, directed and filmed the two girls dancing to Sevcik’s ‘Open Windows, Closed Doors.’

Sevcik recently joined ‘Mystery Friends,’ an indie/dance/rock band that’s taken to performing in the D.C. area and recording their own music. The band debuted at ‘The Pinch D.C.’ and have been accepted into Battle of the Bands this upcoming July. The band’s music can be found on their SoundCloud.

abby sevcik

Photo by Nikola Lojanica

Before graduating from the University of Iowa, Sevcik collaborated with EDM artist Mielo and was featured in his song Surreal which just hit over a million listens on SoundCloud. Sevcik has collaborated in recent years with song writer Mark Bryan from Hootie and the Blowfish, the manager of Hot Chelle Rae and opened for Daya who performed at Iowa City’s ‘The Blue Moose’ last April. The Tab Iowa interviewed Sevcik before opening for Daya last spring. The in-depth interview can be found here.

abby sevcik

Photo by Mark Webster

After moving to Washington D.C. and signing with Chrome City Records last September, Sevcik has performed at Washington D.C.’s Cherry Blossom Festival and plans to continue developing her individual brand and working with ‘Mystery Friends.’ Fans can expect an album released by the end of 2017 with ‘Open Windows, Closed Doors’ at the top of the list.

Feature photo by Alisabeth Von Presley at TINT

University of Iowa