Watch as this boy with Down syndrome finds out he is going to be a Hawkeye

His face as he opens the acceptance letter is priceless

January 12th was not just another day for 19-year-old Carter Fridly as he was accepted into The University of Iowa‘s REACH program. Tears are shed as the now senior learns that his dreams of attending college are coming true. Watch, as this moment is sure to make you smile.

“Well it starts off with congratulations, so you’re going to Iowa,” his father says as they all begin to cheer.

Since his junior year of high school, the Belvidere, Illinois native was persistent about his dreams to one day attend college. Carter didn’t let his disability stand in the way and he is now a part of – The University of Iowa’s REACH Class of 2019.

Carter’s dreams are finally coming true and his excitement over his future college endeavors had the internet in a frenzy with almost 350,000 views and over 1,000 shares.

Surrounded by his family members, Carter opens his letter from the UI to discover that his application from two months earlier had been accepted. He throws his arms in the air, grinning from ear-to-ear over the good news.

Carter will be a freshman this coming fall and a student in UI’s two-year certificate program for Hawkeyes with intellectual and learning disabilities. The Realizing Educational and Career Hopes (REACH) program focuses on strengthening individuals so they may go on to be independent and involved members of their communities.

Carter’s mother Becky hopes that her son’s story can help encourage other students much like Carter to pursue their college goals and dreams.

Congratulations Carter! Your fellow Hawkeyes are excited to have you on campus this fall and we are so proud to welcome you to the family. Go Hawks!

University of Iowa