BREAKING: Man intervenes as protestors burn American flags in Ped Mall

Onlookers yelled for them to leave if they’re unhappy here

Earlier today a group of protesters attempted to burn several American flags on Clinton in front of Yotopia.

A number of individuals watched as the group began setting fire to the flags in protest of the social and racial injustice currently plaguing the United States. However, it wasn’t long before people intervened.

This video from Twitter shows the conflict that broke out when two individuals stepped in.

As seen in the video, a man dressed in a FedEx uniform appears with a fire extinguisher, puts out the fires and confiscates one of the flags as he argues with the protesters. A University of Iowa student confronts the protesters, shouting “This is not how you unite a country.”

The man in the FedEx uniform, later identified as Matt Uhrin, and one of the protesters nearly got physical as the group attempted to retrieve the partially burned flag from Uhrin.

As onlookers yelled for the protesters to essentially leave the country if they were unhappy, a protester shouted in response “I’m going to fight fascism here!”

Two of the protesters, identified as Paul Osgerby and Kelli Ebensberger, were charged with violating Iowa City’s public burn ordinance.

University of Iowa