Meet the Iowa alum making it big in the music industry

Our very own University of Iowa celeb

For those of you who don’t know, Mielo is a pretty big deal here at the University of Iowa. Brett Stogsdill started experimenting with DJing during his senior year of high school after a baseball injury prevented him from playing. He says he had always been intrigued by the electro house music sound, and that’s what mainly drove him to start DJing. Then shortly after coming to Iowa, he began producing music.

In our last interview with Brett, we asked about the inspiration behind creating Mielo. He told us:

“I was dabbling with producing for about a year. Then in September of 2014 I saw Porter Robinson’s World show in Chicago. I was immediately inspired by his sound… Then before I knew it, Mielo was releasing his first song.”

Seven months after the inspirational Porter Robinson show in Chicago, Brett created the face of Mielo, his music alias. On April 30, 2015, Mielo released his first song, “Surreal,” which has had 1.5 million plays and was featured on Episode 011 of the Chainsmokers radio show Nice Hair, Sirius XM BPM Ch. 51.

Brett recently shared that he had the amazing opportunity to play with Robinson on stage two weeks ago on his Shelter Tour with Madeon, which is a pretty huge tour for Robinson.

Brett has played in multiple venues and festivals, including Freaky Deaky Halloween 2015, Reaction NYE 2015 , Concord Music Hall (Chicago, IL), Canopy Club (Urbana, IL), Spring Awakening 2016, Blue Moose (Iowa City, IA), Liquid (Madison, WI), TheMid (Chicago, IL), Summer Set Music & Camping Festival 2016, Riot Room (Kansas City) and 515 Alive Music Festival.

He has shared the stage with artists such as AC Slater, Alison Wonderland, AlunaGeorge, Artifakts, Black Tiger Sex Machine, Boombox Cartel, Carnage, Cash Cash, CHVRCHES, Classixx, Datsik,Deadmau5, Emancipator, G Buck, Golden Features, Gold Link, Griz, GTA, Herobust, Kaskade, K Camp, Louis Futon, Louis The Child, Mac Miller, Nicky Romero, Robin Schultz, San Holo, Showtek, SNBRN, St. Lucia TOKiMONSTA, Wax Motif, & Whethan and Zeds Dead.

Brett gave us some exciting news, he’s dropping a new song with the singer Ieuan on November 15!

He’ll also be coming to Clive Iowa for a show with electronic music superstar Diplo at the Seven Flags Event Center on October 30, so make sure to get some tickets and see his show!

Attached below is Mielo’s soundcloud page and a few of his hit songs. Be sure to check them out!
Congratulations Brett on all your success- from The Tab and all the University of Iowa students. Way to make the Hawkeyes proud!
University of Iowa