Sorry Cyclones, Wisconsin is our real rival

A rivalry is about competition not just location

A max capacity Kinnick Stadium crowd witnessed a beating this past Saturday. The game was over by halftime. Through all the commotion my thoughts raced to what really constitutes a rivalry.

The Hawks dominated for the entire match. Iowa’s two-pronged rushing attack of LeShun Daniels and Akrum Wadley combined for 161 yards on 24 attempts. A methodical C.J. Beathard completed 19 of 28 passes en route to a three touchdown game. I couldn’t help but conclude that the Iowa State game should end as the match trudged along.

Iowa-ISU 2016: A game that never lived up to the hype

The Wisconsin Badgers are Iowa’s mirror image and genuine number one rival. The Badgers play an atypical pro-style offense utilizing two tight ends, a blocking fullback and a short, accurate passing game. A run-stopping, no-frills 4-3 defense is combined with a disciplined, albeit slow, secondary.

While Iowa State focuses their attack on spreading the field with trickery and speed, Wisconsin is much more focused on physically dominating the line of scrimmage. Iowa is a powerhouse in the trenches as well. Josey Jewell and Jaleel Johnson combined for 16 tackles during Saturday’s contest. Desmond King and the rest of Iowa’s secondary held Iowa State to a dismal 40 percent pass completion percentage.

Iowa flags fly at Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium 10/03/2015

The Iowa State football game is not a rivalry. The very nature of a rivalry assumes that both teams have a near-equal shot to win the game. Yet, Iowa continues to schedule Iowa State in the hopes of stirring up the excitement that early 2000s bowl eligible Cyclone teams once garnered.

ISU is the closest school to us geographically, but Wisconsin is the closest school to us in terms of football. Fans want a competitive rivalry – one based on competition not just on location. In the all time head-to-head Iowa leads Iowa State 42-22. The head-to-head with Wisconsin is much closer – the Badgers lead 44-43-2.

Cy-Hawk trophy

Iowa’s other rivals surely could have done better when faced with Iowa’s imposing defense too. Minnesota has more athletes than Iowa State. Nebraska has more experience and an equally potent pass rush. Non-rival, blue-chip conference opponents such as Michigan and Ohio State most likely outclass the Hawkeyes in offensive productivity—but it is Wisconsin that presents the most similar ideological scheme and talent level.

Athletic director Gary Barta, head coach Kirk Ferentz and the rest of the University of Iowa Athletic Department have conspired to schedule low-prestige teams every year. Iowa does not schedule solid regional programs such as Missouri or Notre Dame. Although the scheduling of Iowa State looks great in the new college football polling format, it does nothing to entertain the Iowa fans that pay good money to watch the non-conference beatdowns of MAC conference and FCS opponents every year.

Keeping the Cy-Hawk trophy in Iowa City! #SwarmKinnick

A photo posted by Iowa Hawkeye Football (@hawkeyefootball) on Sep 10, 2016 at 8:09pm PDT

Hawkeye fans should prepare to especially gear up for the last three home games of the year. These are the Wisconsin, Michigan and Nebraska games, respectively. Although the Iowa State game entertained fans throughout the early 2000s, the allure and drawing power of this game has run its course.

It is now time for Iowa to schedule a big-time opponent early on in the football season. The risk of not changing the schedule is far too much to bear.

University of Iowa