No one makes enough time for their family at college

You only lived with them for eighteen years

The most exciting day of college is moving day, when all of your stuff is finally set up in your tiny abode and your heart races toward the moment when the door clicks shut, signifying your parents departure and the beginning of your freshman freedom.

The first few weeks of independence are a sweet sound resonating within you; no curfew, no rules (besides residence hall standards), and no one to answer to. However, there are some valid reasons for why it is still important to make time for your family, even though you’re in college.

They raised you

You lived with them for the majority of your youth. They have taught you everything that you know and they want to continue to watch you grow!

Just because you’re technically an adult and not living with them, doesn’t mean that they stop helping you grow.

This is a picture from when I went home and my dad taught my sister and I how to make alfredo sauce.

Their deep, dark college tales begin to surface when you’re out of the house

If your parents are anything like my parents, then they probably didn’t tell you about their wild and stupid experiences that they had when they were our age. Yes, I understand it is hard to believe that parents were like us once upon a blue moon.

My parents tell me stories now that move my party nights from a ten to a four and a half on the college fun scale.

Next time you talk to your family, ask your parents about their craziest night of young-adulthood, I promise you will not be disappointed.

They can relive their glory days vicariously through you, and some day when you reach their age you will vicariously relive these days through your children too.

They will not judge you when it comes to painfully basic life needs

I’ll admit that I’ve had to call my mom a few times and ask her questions about things like how to get drink stains out of my clothes from the Friday before. It almost makes me feel dumb because laundry seems so innate to parents. But my mother never laughs at me or ridicules me for my lack of stain management knowledge.

Your family may make fun of you sometimes, because hey, they’re your family and it’s what they do, but they will always help you when you need it.

These are my wonderful cousins. We judge and embarrass each other quite a bit, but it’s all good fun and they always have my back

They donate to your personal charity

We’ve already established that your parents have had their own rodeos, that means that they know what it’s like to be broke off  your ass. Their empathy will increase for you every time you see them, especially when you open your bank account and they see that you only have three dollars.

Parents love to buy you groceries and take you out to eat when they visit. Maybe I’m playing the Devil’s advocate here, but that is definitely something to take advantage of.

The best part is that you don’t even have to pay them back!

My mom and sister took me to Short’s a couple of weeks ago

You will always have a home with them

When life breaks you down and the world only annoys and angers you, your parents will always only be a phone call away (unless they’re like my mom and you have to call two or three times because she either didn’t hear it or she was busy talking some hot gossip).

One trip home can comfort and console your tired spirit. Grandma’s homemade chciken noodle soup and the familiar scent that your bed sheets have can hold you together when you feel like falling apart.

My family is my home and I am so thankful for them. They have made me who I am today and I can’t wait to see the person that they will help me become.

So, there you go! Some valid reasons to make time for your fam. All in all, they love you and care about you. They just want to see you succeed and do anything that they can to help you along the way.

Family will always have your back, no matter what so set some time aside for them whenever you can.

University of Iowa