I had my room broken into in my first semester of college

The police officer told me that this wasn’t the worst thing that could’ve happened

A Dance and Business major had the shock of her life on an early October afternoon during the first semester of her freshman year of college. The 18-year-old never anticipated being the victim of theft, but two fellow university students altered this speculation when they entered her Currier dorm room and stole her $250 car key, debit card, a $50 gift card, STAT card, her license, student ID, and room key.
Not only was my roommate obligated to foot the bill for her stolen items, but she had no choice but to take matters into her own hands when Iowa City police failed to communicate effectively.

Can you explain exactly what happened on that October afternoon?

I was doing my hair in the other room, and my roommate was sitting on the couch. She went to the bathroom for a couple minutes and that’s when my keys were swiped from the hook hanging beside our open door. As I was hurrying to get to work I noticed my keys weren’t where I left them. My roommate and I searched our room but couldn’t find them anywhere. I knew as soon as I left that someone had stolen them, so I called my dad and he cancelled my card.

By the time he had cancelled it the thieves had already spent $70 on pizza. Once I got to work a police officer stopped by so I could file a police report and record everything that was taken. I was bawling and the police officer told me that this was not the worst thing that could’ve happened but at that time in my life it was. I was a mess and got sent home from work for crying.

When and why did you decide it was time for the police to get involved?

I decided it was time to get the police involved after I had called my dad to cancel my cards. We initially filed a police report because I couldn’t get my money back unless I did.

What did the cops do to help you?

Nothing. They mostly did a lot of behind the scenes work, they didn’t communicate well with me.

Did you try to take matters into your own hands?

My parents called the pizza company and figured out that it was someone in the residence halls who had bought the pizza. I thought if there was a pizza, there had to be a box with it. My friends and I searched all of Currier’s trash, all of Stanley’s trash, and half of Daum’s trash.

Midway through Daum I called the pizza company wondering if they would give me the exact address that they delivered the pizza to. The delivery man said he had dropped the pizza off at Burge with a man described as a black male, around 6 foot, 210 pounds, and braces. On the fourth floor of Burge we found the pizza boxes with my name on them, spelled exactly the same but without an ‘A’.

I was so excited because I thought I had them busted. Unfortunately they couldn’t do anything with the boxes.

Did the cops do anything to make sure this wouldn’t happen again in order to ensure the safety of you and other students? 

Besides arresting the guy, no. There were about ten other people that they stole from that day. Where my card got declined they tried to use another victim’s card. The case took so long because they were comparing all the cases and reports.

We really need security cameras on every floor at the dorms.

In the end what were the consequences of the thieves?

They never followed up after the day the cop called and informed me they would be arresting the man. I’m assuming he was arrested.

I could have charged him with theft, but most people wouldn’t, even though the whole ordeal cost me a lot of money.

What do you think the chances of this happening again to you or other dorm residents?

I think theft happens all the time, but a lot of people don’t report it. In my hometown this isn’t common, it hardly ever happens.

My address was on my license, which is scary.

Do you think this reflects badly on the University?

I don’t think this situation has anything to do with the school. It has to do with being in an area with a lot of people.

Do you have any suggestions for current or incoming students so we can avoid situations like this?

Don’t trust anyone. Don’t hang your lanyard by your door. I don’t even know why I thought that was a good idea.

How did this whole situation affect you during the time that it happened and how has it affected you now?

I’ve learned not to trust anyone. It hurts to know that I would never do this to anyone else, but it happened to me.

How did it feel having your things stolen? Are you frightened staying in this room, do you take any extra precautions to make sure this doesn’t happen again?

I make sure our door is locked all the time, I don’t even walk down the hallway usually unless it’s locked. But I’m not scared to stay here.

University of Iowa