Stop calling it a walk of shame

When you wake up and realize this bed isn’t yours…

Whether it was a good or bad night, you mostly feel the same: dehydrated, slightly dazed, achy, tired, and in desperate need of a shower. You head out the door with your head slightly down, thinking about that hot shower and what you’re going to eat when you get home (cause let’s be honest, food is top of the priority list after a long night of drinking and busting some shapes).

You’re rushing to get home and get out of those “going out clothes” , which are undoubtedly cute, but have nothing on sweatpants and a t-shirt. You’re probably going to be rocking the “resting bitch face” as you wander your way home – and that’s OK.

But what isn’t OK is assuming that this tired and slightly discombobulated face is shameful. I’ll admit, I am a victim of assuming the “walk of shame” many times, and it’s hard not to when you live on a college campus. But the more I think about it, the more I realize, I don’t know that person’s situation.

Unless I saw them, I really have no clue what they were up to the night before – and looks can be deceiving. Here are some reasons why we should stop assuming and stop calling it a “walk of shame”.

‘You don’t know my life!’ *dramatic hair flip* 

NYRJ2804

The underlying fact is that no can completely know what situation the person was in the night before.

They could’ve stayed at a friend’s place, had a really bad night with a hookup, or a really amazing night.

Don’t worry, be happy

In the chance that you had a great night, you would feel anything but shameful! You may be excited, happy, and even a little accomplished.

Either way, shameful is definitely not on the list.

College is all about new life experiences, right?  

Even if it was a disaster night, it was a life experience nonetheless.

That’s what college is about, learning from your mistakes and such. Maybe you even got a good story out of it … Maybe.

Who really cares anyway? 

Why should you care what the strangers on the sidewalk think about you? Or even people you may know from class.

To be truthful, it’s none of their business! You’re just doin’ your thing and living life your way. Props to you, they’re probably just jealous.

Point blank, it isn’t shameful

Sex is natural, and a totally normal part of growing up.

We all have different views and feelings about sex, but in the end it is considered a natural part of human behavior.

It’s not a walk of shame, it’s a stride of pride, so go get ’em ladies.

University of Iowa