Norovirus runs rampant at Indiana University fraternity house

Almost all Alpha Epsilon Pi house members experienced symptoms

When Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity brothers returned to Bloomington after a week in Punta Cana, they brought back more than just a tan.

Out of 52 members, 50 of the fraternity brothers experienced symptoms of a norovirus, according to IU spokesperson Chuck Carney.

"Several members of the AEPi chapter at IU returned from spring break with some kind of sickness and may have gotten others in the house ill," an AEPi spokesperson told The Tab in an email. "Members have received appropriate medical attention and the house has been industrially cleaned to hopefully eliminate concerns for other residents and guests."

Fraternity members began quarantining themselves on Friday in the Hyatt hotel, and left as early as Monday after symptoms of the norovirus disappeared after three days.

Just one day after several members of AEPi were diagnosed with the norovirus, the fraternity hosted a party on Saturday with Gamma Phi Beta and Kappa Sigma.

Students in attendance have since contracted the virus and spoken about their symptoms.

“It’s basically a pounding headache and stomach pain," said Kappa Sigma member Michael Mancini. "Makes you feel really nauseous.

So far, there are confirmed cases at AEPi, Kappa Sigma, Theta Chi and Alpha Gamma Delta.

A person usually develops symptoms 12 to 48 hours after being exposed to norovirus. Most people with the virus get better within 1 to 3 days.

Another student who wished to remain anonymous told The Tab she contracted the virus a few hours after her sorority sisters.

“I sleep in a cold dorm, so we’re guessing that’s how it’s going through my house because of so many girls in close proximity to each other," she said. "Girls have been getting it every day this past week.”

Follow @thetabIU on Instagram to see this news first.

IU