The greasiest ways to embrace the freshman 15 at IU

Stop fighting it, it will find you

Everyone goes into college adamant that they'll avoid gaining the ever so dreaded freshman 15.

"I'm not going to let that happen to me," we think, foolishly. "I'm going to wake up at 8am everyday to workout before class," we tricked ourselves into believing.

And then, a few months later, we all go home for winter break and it's quite apparent that most people have indeed put on a couple pounds.

The freshman 15 is almost inevitable. It’s hard not to gain weight when coming to college: we're less active, healthy meal options are costly and binge drinking adds at least 1000 calories per night when you factor 100 calories per shot and late night munchies.

It is just too easy to fall into an unhealthy lifestyle in college, so why do we even pretend to fight it? Stop finding ways to avoid the freshman 15 and embrace your new stretch marks in all their white, veiny glory.

Pizza

With your choice of Pizza X, Mother Bear’s, and Papa John’s all within delivery distance, how can you say no to cheesy bread at 2 am? Eating pizza five out of seven nights of the week has to be one of the best ways to make sure you will not be bikini body ready by spring break.

Ice cream

Bloomington has an overwhelming amount of options to turn down when it comes to ice cream. Hartzell’s and Chocolate Mousse are too irresistible to say no to when your friends offer to go during a study break.

Baked! of Bloomington

The best way to gain 15 pounds– getting Baked! Ha ha! No really, ordering Baked cookies has to be one of the best ways to make sure your jeans from senior year of high school no longer fit. When you have the option to get cookies with Oreo cream cheese frosting on top, is it really even a question if it’s worth it?

Opie Taylor's mozz sticks

Embrace their cheesy goodness. Honestly, whoever decided to fry cheese deserves an award. A moment on the lips, forever on the hips? Yes please!

Taco Bell

Can you think of a better location for a Taco Bell than down the street from Bluebird, Sports, and Brother's? Didn't think so. A crunch wrap supreme at 2 am after the bars is the perfect recipe for weight gain.

Z & C

You mean I can get teriyaki chicken and sushi until 3 AM? Next question.

My Thai

Pad thai, pineapple fried rice…. *drool*

Skip the gym

After a long, stressful day of sitting in two classes and scrolling through Facebook the whole time, you deserve a nap. Who wants to go to the gym and be active when your bed and Netflix are just five steps away?

Remember that boy you kissed that one time and never spoke to again? Or that guy that asked you on a date and you always gave excuses to why you couldn’t go? Or what about the girl that your ex-boyfriend cheated on you with? Yeah, those are always the people that you see at the SRSC when you don’t want to. Dripping sweat, looking like a boy, and panting. No one wants to have those awkward encounters, so how about we just avoid the SRSC altogether.

Also, we could get our daily exercise by walking to and from classes, but do we really want to? No. We would much rather wait 10 minutes for a bus, sit on an eight-minute bus ride, and then get to where we are going that would have been a 15-minute walk in the first place. The best way to do it is to take the bus instead of walking from Swain West to Wells because we want to avoid all possible physical activity.

When you come to Bloomington freshman year, just be prepared to go home the next summer needing to buy a whole new wardrobe because I promise the freshman 15 will find you, and you will enjoy every second of gaining it. Embrace it.

IU