The lessons to learn from the Michelle Carter texting suicide case

If someone confides in you that they are suicidal, here’s what to do

Michelle Carter was found guilty of manslaughter for persuading her ex-boyfriend, Conrad Roy III to commit suicide on July 13th, 2014.

She encouraged his suicide and suggested what to do, texting him: “If you emit 3200 ppm of [carbon monoxide] for five or ten minutes you will die within a half hour. You lose consciousness with no pain. You just fall asleep and die. You can also just take a hose and run that from the exhaust pipe to the rear window in your car and seal it with duct tape and shirts, so it can’t escape. You will die within, like, 20 or 30 minutes all pain free,” Carter said.

She made him promise to kill himself. Texts between them read:

Roy: Okay. I’m gonna do it today.

Carter: You promise?

Roy: I promise, babe. I have to now.

If someone confides in you that they are suicidal, don’t do what Carter did. Here’s what to do:

Take them seriously

It takes a lot of courage for a suicidal person to admit they want to take their own life out loud. If they say it, they mean it. Don’t underestimate them.

Listen to their story and don’t minimize their problems

No matter how small the reason for killing themselves may seem to you, to the suicidal person it isn’t; it is serious enough for them to want to take their own life.

Don’t promise not to tell anyone

If someone tells you they are suicidal, you must tell their family members, a mental health professional, or the police. It is more important to save your loved one’s life than to lose their trust for a few months. They will forgive you eventually.

Encourage them to live

Express how much you love them, will miss them if they are gone, and remind them what they yet have to accomplish. State examples in your own life that you want them to be there for; like birthdays, graduations, holidays, and simple movie nights.

Take away any objects they could use to commit suicide

It only takes a moment for someone to take their own life, and they have probably thought of more than one way to do it.

Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline

It’s 1-800-273-8255.

Call 911 or take them to a mental health service or emergency room 

When the suicidal person sees you taking action, it is likely that they will say they are just kidding and they really aren’t suicidal. No matter what they say, make sure to get them the professional care that they need.

Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States; it is serious and should not be encouraged. If you or someone you know is suicidal, get them the help that they need.

IU Hide Images