I’m in a long-distance relationship and spent Valentine’s Day alone

I can’t decide if I’m better or worse off than a single person on Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day — the one day during the year where you shower your significant other with flowers and chocolate, eat an expensive meal that you would never pay for any other day and feel so much love your heart could burst.

All of that is great, unless you’re single. Or worse, in an LDR.

Being in an LDR is worse than being single on Valentine’s Day. You have someone, but they are miles and miles away, thus leaving you feeling more alone than usual. You scroll through Instagram, open up Snapchat stories and read Tweets about couples spending the day together and you just feel so sad. This could be us, but you live in another state, you think. February 14 was shaping up to be just like any normal day for me, except for the dark V-Day cloud looming over my head reminding me of how lame and lonely I am.

So, this is how I spent my Valentine’s Day night alone.

5:00 p.m.

5:00 p.m. seemed like an appropriate time to start drinking. Since Valentine’s Day was on a Sunday this year and we live in Indiana, I stocked up on Saturday. I bought a semi-bougie bottle of pinot noir at Sahara Mart. As I was leaving, the cashier smiled and said, “I hope you and your loved one enjoy Valentine’s Day!”

If by “loved one” you mean this $15.95 bottle of pinot, then yes, we will be enjoying our night together.

6:15 p.m.

After my second glass of wine, I decided to scroll through Instagram. I saw pictures of filets with lobster tails, pasta with all the cheese and The Homestead Breakfast from Bob Evan’s. Apparently this girls’ boyfriend waited too long to make a reservation and they couldn’t get in anywhere. Not even Applebee’s. That sucks. After seeing all this food, I was super hungry and did what I do best — ordered pizza.

7:15 p.m.

The pizza arrived. I think this is what they mean when they say, “It was love at first sight.” Like, literally. It was heart-shaped.

7:45 p.m.

Finished pizza. I was super bored but not in the mood to look at social media again. So, I put on the Formation music video and attempted to memorize the music video. My dance studio — bedroom — is a huge basement that is conducive for somersaults, dramatic leaps and really just channeling your inner Beyonce power walk. #iSlay

8:05 p.m.

Needed a break from my intense moves. I got kind of sweaty from dancing so I decided to take a romantic bath. I put on Sam Cooke and drank another boot of wine and soaked in my own tears.

8:45 p.m.

Movie time! I spent a lot of time really thinking about what I wanted to watch. Ok, actually I am extremely indecisive and it can basically take me the length of a motion picture to actually pick out a movie to watch. But anyways, I scrolled past P.S. I Love You (not in the mood to cry),  Schindler’s List (just watched it last week and two weeks before that) and Dirty Dancing (it has a happy ending). Finally, I found a movie that I was into. Insidious. It’s a great horror flick and c’mon,  what is more insidious than spending Valentine’s Day alone? Oh, and two words: Patrick Wilson.

10:45 p.m.

I made it through the movie and the bottle of wine. Watching scary movies while moderately inebriated makes you feel like a badass, so you’re not as scared. At this point I was about to pass out, so I grabbed my picture of me and bae and snuggled up in my pillow kingdom. It was like we were almost together. And just like that, I drifted to sleep and woke up to a new day and a new hangover.

It took me one bottle of wine, one pizza and Beyonce to survive Valentine’s Day. I can only hope that February 14, 2017 will be less painful than February 14, 2016.

IU national-us