Hell no, UIUC is #6 most haunted school in the USA

One ranking we’re not so proud of

UIUC is home to many different super natural stories and urban legends. In a ranking, of 50 universities, Illinois came in 6th as the most haunted.

Coming in 1st is Ohio University for their legends of hauntings and students attempting magic in the famous Wilson Hall room 428. Right above Illinois, making it into the top 5, is Wells College in New York. With a ghostly security guard that is said to still roam campus, to a creepy red door, Wells also has their share of ghost stories.

While we all know the infamous stories of the English building being haunted here at UIUC, there seems to be argument over what really happened.

Photo: illinois.edu

The English building, formerly a Women’s Activity Center as well as dormitory, is supposedly where a student died for unknown reasons some time in between 1905 and 1937. There are different opinions regarding if the student drowned on purpose or if it was an accident. Either way, the ghosts name is apparently Christie and some students claim she turns off the lights or slams doors (maybe she’ll help you study, if you’re lucky).

Not all of UIUC’s legends are scary though. There’s also the tradition of rubbing the nose on the Lincoln Hall statue of Abraham Lincoln for good luck or kissing your significant other under the eternal flame statue to ensure you’ll be together forever. Even the lesser known mysterious tunnels under ground that used to be used for when there was heavy snow, according to some, raise questions.

With all of these tales and legends, UIUC is the perfect place to be for an interesting Halloween.

University of Illinois