Trump graffiti found on campus outside Department of Latino Studies

It said: ‘TRUMP BUILD A WALL’ and ‘THEY HAVE TO GO BACK’

Pro-Trump graffiti appeared on the University of Illinois UC campus yesterday.

The slogans were found outside the Latino house by student senator Alex Joseph Villanueva. In a post on Facebook Alex wrote:

“Today, a friend brought to my attention some sad chalking on the University of Illinois campus. I want people to know that I do not support the rhetoric that Donald Trump has been using during this cycle, and I am disappointed that many fellow Republicans are supporting him despite this. What is frightening is that people are taking this rhetoric and using it as an offensive joke, that simply does not belong on a college sidewalk. It is one thing to write ‘Trump 2016’, yet it is another to purposefully use specific phrases to intimidate others. I am a full support of free speech and expression for the purpose of creating dialogue and expressing views. Now let’s use those same rights to talk about why we as a people need to check ourselves and think about the consequences of what we say, do, and who we vote for.”

Students underneath the post argued about whether the comments were offensive. One person wrote: “How is chalk intimidating”, another agreed “How is saying ‘build a wall offensive’?”.

Other posters explained that the graffiti was found outside a Latino cultural centre, while one person simply said: “This is so sad.”

University of Illinois