Advice for the Class of 2020

Written by freshmen for freshmen

Coming to college is tough. Everybody makes mistakes in their first semester.

No one remembers it more clearly than the Class of 2019, as we just finished our freshman fall.

Here’s some advice for the Class of 2020. Don’t make the same mistakes we did.

Aaron, 19, Undecided, Class of 2019

Aaron, far left

Harvard has the highest concentration of friendly, kind people that I have ever encountered so get ready to meet some wonderful people.

Matt, 19, Government, Class of 2019

Branch out and find a club or activity they really enjoy and can feel a part of and to invest time in that organization.

Curtis, 19, Economics, Class of 2019

Curtis, right

Keep an open mind about everything, and don’t let failures get to you.

Trevor, 19, Astrophysics, Class of 2019

Trevor, right

Best advice I would say is definitely time management and things you can do to relax. Time is really valuable here, so you want to make sure that you take advantage of it and get your work done efficiently. At the same time, set out a fair portion to do things that’ll just keep you at ease. Anything to get out of the dorm and socialize is a win.

Brady, 18, Undecided, Class of 2019

Brady, right

Get out there and talk to people you meet in your class and all around you. I’ve learned at least as much from my peers as from my classes this semester.

Ben, 19, Undecided, Class of 2019

Ben, far right

Just because Harvard doesn’t seek you out to help you with a venture of your own doesn’t mean they are not willing, able, and excited to help you with it. With a dream and a team of classmates, faculty, and/or other adults, you can do anything. I know it sounds cheesy. Sorry.

Taylor, 19, Neurobiology, Class of 2019

Cliché as it is, don’t be afraid to reach out to people – your advisers, PAFs, upperclassmen – even to ask simply questions. More often than not, they’re so happy to help out. I reached out to an adviser in the concentration I plan to pursue early in the year, and they’ve been such a huge help since I’ve been here.

Aashay, 19, Undecided, Class of 2019

I would say go out of your way in the first few weeks to open yourself up to meet as many people as possible. Do a pre-orientation program, shop a bunch of classes, get meals with tons of people. Don’t close up and be open to new adventures.

Pooja, 18, Class of 2019, Biomedical Engineering and Global Health and Public Policy

Pooja, left

You will have so many incredible opportunities available to you after coming here. As in, so many that you can’t possibly make use of all of them. So make sure that you think carefully about which ones matter the most to you and which ones you’ll have the most fun pursuing.

Mati, 20, Government, Class of 2019

Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone. Be willing. Jump. Rely on your capabilities because you have been given the tools you need. It’s time to start being the person you want to be today.

Sammota, 18, Undecided, Class of 2019

Sammota, left

My advice would be to make sure you do at least one class or course outside of your concentration, every semester, because I can guarantee you that it will change or enrich your perspective and experience here at Harvard.

Elias, 19, Undecided, Class of 2019

Elias, left

Every now and then, stop to ask yourself why is it that you are doing what you are doing. In particular for academics: are you taking this course to get an A, or to learn something important about the world? Try and keep your answer in mind.

Julia, 18, Undecided, Class of 2019

Taylor, right

My advice to the Class of 2020 is to definitely take advantage of the advice given during opening days and by mentors in any capacity, whether it is your proctor, teacher, or PAF. Also, you’ll only have one first semester so really taking time to meet people and attend social events is important. At least it was to me.

Stefan, 19, Undecided, Class of 2019

Make sure you balance your schedule with different activities.

Devon, 18, History, Class of 2019

Devon, left

Find something you love. Whether it’s going into Boston, a certain club, or just talking with your friends, find it. Then, no matter how much classes suck or how much CS50 hurts your soul, it will all be worth it because you will be able to go do that thing that you love. There will always be a sunny spot in your life.

Harvard