Number of confirmed mumps cases rises to NINE

‘We all have a responsibility to help prevent the spread of the virus’

In an email to Wednesday afternoon, the university said the number of confirmed mumps cases has risen to nine, sparking concerns from officials on the spread of the virus and how it may impact students leaving for spring break next week.

The nine Harvard cases are among 12 confirmed in Massachusetts since Jan 1st with others also found at UMass Boston and Bentley University.

The university and health officials are also monitoring possible cases with several other students as the outbreak continues to grow.

4738770694_27914162fc_o

Paul Barreira said: “These students have already been in isolation, and Harvard University Health Services (HUHS) has been working closely with the Cambridge Public Health Department and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health to track and evaluate the scope of the mumps exposure in the Harvard community.

“We all have a responsibility to help prevent the spread of the virus. With spring recess only a few days away, I know many of you will be leaving the Cambridge area, and I write to remind you that it is even more important to be vigilant in taking precautions to prevent the spread of mumps if you are planning to travel.”

Information on prevention and symptoms can be found here.

Harvard