This man is vowing to bring free tuition to Harvard

Ron Unz is running for Board of Overseers with his controversial idea

Ron Unz, Harvard Class of ’83, is running for the university’s Board of Overseers with the hopes of eliminating tuition at the college.

Running with four other members, including the Green Party’s very own Ralph Nader, Unz “unapologetically calls attention to the fact that Harvard has a massive endowment yet enjoys a tax exemption as an educational institution.”

“It’s sort of like if Goldman Sachs bought a community college and declared itself tax-exempt,” Unz told Business Insider, exhibiting knowledge of Harvard’s Wall Street pipeline.

Ron Unz

He also believes the move would attract more low-income students and give more attention to less acknowledged issues such as geographic and socioeconomic diversity.

Unz also aims to make the College’s admissions process more transparent, claiming wealthy families “buy their children a place at Harvard” through donations of “a few million dollars,” which is far from a new accusation against the College.

But Harvard argues it’s doing as much as it can, with Jeff Neal, a university representative, telling The New York Times Harvard has granted $1.4 billion in financial aid in the last decade, and Robert Reischauer, an economist and former senior fellow of the Harvard Corporation, explaining that Harvard’s endowment is not “one big bank account” that can be used for any and every purpose.

But when a conservative starts to sound like Bernie Sanders with talks of free tuition, it really makes you wonder.

Harvard