I’m going to travel through Europe using Red Bull as currency

‘There’s a whole world outside of Harvard’

Red Bull is organizing a contest to see who can travel through Europe using only their drink as currency.

And Harvard junior Masahiro Kusunoki, from Tokyo, Japan, is taking up the challenge.

A street magician who’s already traveled to the Philippines and is spending spring break in Israel, Masahiro has the travel bug and is eager to explore the world.

ButĀ before he can actually participate in the Red Bull Challenge, Masahiro has to win enough votes from the general public.

Voting ends on 25 February at 11am. Click here to see Masahiro’s introduction video and vote for him to get the tripĀ of a lifetime.

We spoke to him about his progress.

How does travelling the world with Red Bull as money work?

We haven’t started yet so we’re yet to find out, but essentially we will trade Red Bull for favors and ask people to give us rides or let us stay at their place for the night.

Why Red Bull?

We like the concept of how “Red Bull gives you wings.” Usually we think that it is money that let’s us travel and do interesting things, but Red Bull can grant us the same privilege and free you from daily life to fly across Europe and have a great time.

Did you mean why the drink or why we are participating in the tournament?

Is there a tournament?

Yes, so Red Bull are organizing a global tournament for this.

And you are competing in Europe?

The competition is in Europe.

Are there specified start and end points?

Exactly. But it is a surprise so we don’t know yet.

Who are you working with?

My two very close friends from Japan who I have known since high school.

What do you hope to get out of the Red Bull competition?

I think that Harvard is a great place, and I really enjoy being here, but it is also easy to forget that there is a whole world outside of this. I hope that this competition will help me be able to explore the wider world and come back to appreciate Harvard a bit better.

Also, I’m really looking forward to getting to meet people and make friends in Europe.

Harvard