Being a Brit at an American college is really confusing sometimes

No, I don’t know the Queen

I came to America looking for a different experience, and I’m surprised by how happy I am here, I thought the culture shock would be too much but there are so many great things about going to Georgetown that has made the transition pretty easy.

Unlike at most British universities, here I have a roommate and a great one at that. It means I never have to feel worried about having no one to eat, study or go out with. Having a good roommate is like a security blanket and has saved me from a lot of awkward situations I’d probably find myself in at university back home.

At first college is literally the set of a film

We have all experienced that early starry –eyed period in which everything about College seems like being on shoot for a movie, filled with American football, cheerleaders, unhealthy dining options and more.

Obviously things lose their novelty as time goes on…

I can’t eat from the chocolate fountain every Sunday unless I want to develop Diabetes and the intensity of work here is becoming more and more apparent – all I hear about nowadays is the ‘Mid-term Madness’. As a ‘brit abroad’ there are definitely aspects of college life that I find perplexing and also things that I miss from home.

There are just somethings at home I’m missing out on

While all my friends are clicking “going” to Grime and Garage events at Uni with $2 shots and the like, the only grime I know is on the floor of my dormitory showers. In the meantime, I’m being invited to fully Latino events that cost $25 on the door and require a fake ID worth over $100.

Going out isn’t quite the same

If I don’t want to go “out’ out then my other weekend option is frat parties: A sweaty mix of scantily clad girls, spirits without mixers (they’ll be sure to have run out) and paranoid frat boys who don’t play music because of the cops – so how is it a party!? At least we have jersey night at Piano Bar…

Americans don’t always get British sarcasm

It’s so lovely how friendly Americans are but I really have to walk on egg shells when it comes to humour. A quick, sarcastic quip is all it takes to incite outrage – no one gets that I’m JOKING!

The British condiment game is being missed

The Yankees weren’t kidding when they said peanut butter jelly time. But jelly is for tea! Do you guys know what jam is? I asked the girl sitting next to me on the Red Square and she said that sure she knows what it is – her grandma eats it back home. So for the fellow brit, Frenchie or any other jam eating country do not expect to see it or hear of it any time soon unless you are surrounded by the elderly. Apparently, over here jam is “a generational thing”.

Do you guys even know what Marmite is?

Carrying on with the condiment theme – I miss marmite! So much so that my woes resulted in a package of it being sent transatlantic by my sympathetic family. To the Marmite rookie, this is a spread made of yeast extract that is the perfect addition to toast, crumpets or English muffins (with butter of course) but you either love it or you hate it. Most Americans who have tried it place themselves in the latter category. It’s an acquired taste.

I can’t quite seem to find the high street

Where are the charity shops at? If I spend any more money on crap from Forever 21 or H&M I’m going to be broke and not even for a worthwhile cause. The closest depot-esque Goodwill is 3 miles away and just isn’t the same as those small London shops with absolute gems going for £4 a piece… shopping at Buffalo Exchange is just far too expensive to compare .

I have to say, sometimes America’s geography isn’t great

Thankfully this hasn’t been asked by any Hoyas but I’ve had a few Georgetown residents striking up conversation, asking me where I’m from, and then asking me whether London is in France or if I speak French. Please note that there is a strip of sea separating us, not as big as the Atlantic Ocean but water nonetheless. I will shame but not name one guy on campus who asked me if I live next to Manchester…us Brits can’t claim to possess infallible knowledge of the United States but my tiny country is the size of Alabama and if I didn’t know my shit about Alabama I’d pipe down, do my research and then get back to you.

The mystifying popularity of preppy apparel

Okay, of course sailors wear boat shoes in Britain but how did they become the common denominator of fashion on US campuses? We are on land not sea. I am also intrigued as to why stamping a whale on a t-shirt, cap or any other vestment makes it a fashion choice (Vineyard Vines I’m talking about you). We’re at Georgetown because we are all individuals –  bin the plaid and let your clothing show that.

Is there an English to American slang dictionary?

If one more person tells me “You’re fine” if I apologise for a minor incident like bumping into them or taking up their time by asking a question, I might explode. Yes, I am perfectly aware that I’m “fine”, in fact I’m better than fine! Do you mean to say “don’t worry”? Say it then.

“It’s lit” my fellow Brits does not pertain to a house on fire or the humble matchstick but is in fact a measure of how fun a party is. I’m slowly training myself not to instinctively look for the nearest fire extinguisher every time I’m told a house party is “lit”.

“Hey man, sup?”. Oh you want to get supper? Great let’s go eat at Leo’s! No? Oh, you’re asking me what’s up?  Oh, I’m fine…

What is the deal with pool sliders, and why are they a fashion item?

For some reason unbeknown to me, pool sliders have sneakily slipped into British street fashion and while the Puma X Fenty collection has made a good case for donning furry, waterproof sandals, the average College student over here wears them paired with high socks, basketball shorts and a questionable t-shirt choice.

Pool sliders are just one of those things that can only look cool if you can really rock them with a killer outfit – and for the majority of college kids that is just not the case. I have spent a few years abstaining from this shoe choice but the whole endeavour was shattered when my mum bought me some Fila sandals for the showers in Darnall (with good reason too).

Now I sheepishly pad to the bathroom in them and sometimes even downstairs to do the laundry, I also admit to once wearing them out… But as a general rule of thumb, socks and sandals are for Jesus elderly tourists in Hawaii. Stay away.

Georgetown University