Inside DC Fashion week: No frills, but on point

Fashion is art and should be accessible to everyone

DC Fashion Week isn’t one of the most publicized fashion events. In fact, this year it took place the same week as Milan Fashion Week, so you can probably guess which one attracted the most stars.

That said, getting ready for DC fashion week, you’re already thinking it will probably be a low key, casual event.

The venue was no frills, but pretty swanky

The event was hosted at the Liaison Hotel on Capitol Hill. Upon arrival, guests are greeted by streams of overhead string lights adorning an outdoor restaurant patio, and the sound of laughter and clinking glasses. I was pleasantly surprised to see how nice the venue was.

Down a long corridor there was a dimly foyer that connected to the ballroom where the showcase would be presented. Tables were littered with gifts bags, and there was a manicure table is set up to promote a line of chip-free polishes.

A complete shift in scenery occurred across the threshold of the ballroom door

There was a cluster of linoleum covered seats, abnormally fluorescent lighting and down the middle of the room was a long piece of white fabric taped to the grey carpet, which you could assume to be a makeshift runway.

The ballroom wasn’t nearly as alluring as the hotel it’s located in. Attendees were scattered around the room looking at promoted products. In a sea of denim and polyester, few stood out.

One woman wore a floor length white gown, which sort of looked like the love-child of a wedding dress and a beach towel. Another wore a statement necklace which resembled a feather bib. I settled down in the front row seat and waited for the show to begin.

The director of the show was a pretty well dressed man himself

Five minutes before the show was scheduled to start, the ballroom remained half empty. A man, Ean Williams (Director of DC Fashion Week), in a bright red suit emerged from backstage. It was a daring color choice, but he was, hands down, the best dressed at the event so far.

Recognizing that lots of seats still weren’t filled, he began asking some volunteers to fill up spots in the front row until other ticket holders arrived.

The youngest designer was just fourteen

Music began to blare and the models of the first show began filling down the runway. All of the guests were impressed that the designer was a mere fourteen-years-old. Like clockwork, attendees alternated between sipping from their drinks and applauding.

The applause was well deserved: the designers were talented and their collections were representative of their passion for design. Between each show the organizer emerged to introduce the respective designers and leave time for questions, or to crack a few jokes to keep the crowd awake.

By the fifteen minute break, halfway through the event, the ballroom was filled up. Chatter ensued, guests got up to go to the bar and check out some of the products being promoted at the show.

After a short eternity, a slightly more drunk crowd reclaimed their seats and the show resumed.

At the end of the show, the designers were met with thunderous applause

The show was different from those attended by the likes of the Kardashians; it was a very human and accessible experience.

I was surrounded by ordinary people: hotel guests, relatives of the designers and models, and curious people. Fashion, like any other art, should be accessible for all and not solely enjoyed or marveled upon by a select class of society that has the ability to look or dress a certain way.

DCFW was pretty inclusive to the max

This is the true beauty of DC Fashion Week, anyone and everyone can be a part of the fashion world, which isn’t a commonality to most fashion shows. The showmanship wasn’t particularly impressive, nor was the crowd, but the designers’ work is what truly matters, and that exceeded every expectation I had upon entering the Emerging Designer Showcase.

Where fashion is presented, or who is there to gaze upon it doesn’t make or break the show, it is the designers’ talent and the crowd’s enthusiasm that adds to the experience.

Georgetown University