Georgetown’s new athletic training centre has super cold cryosaunas

The future is now

Georgetown’s new athletic centre will include nothing other than cryosaunas.

Yes, you read that right.  The new facility will hold what can be considered a super fast ice bath. What really impresses about the new digs is not the stained glass, it’s not the murals, it’s the cryosaunas.

Instead of a wet-cold tub, the cryosauana is a standing machine full of nitrogen vapor that reached -90 to -120 degrees celsius and lasts for less than three minutes of painless dry cold.

The difference between what Georgetown athletes were training with before to what they will be training with now is similar to comparing Rocky’s training methods to Ivan Drago’s.  This futuristic method combined with the rest of the Thompson Center hint at one sweet time for the athletic programs of Georgetown.

Georgetown University is providing this to roughly 750 student-athletes in partnership with Impact Cryotherapy.

Perhaps this news will be taken with a little less enthusiasm by the athletes of the over thirty club sports programs and many other intramural sports who have watched the new building go up as Kehoe Field’s poor conditions warranted its closure leaving them with even less space of their own for athletics.

There has been a lot of discussion about the new 144,000 square foot John R. Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletic Center if not just while passing its construction for the last year or so.  The $62 million facility which is meant for use by the universities D1 athletes is impressive to say the least.

It also houses a massive workout room, indoor turf for training, basketball courts, you name it.  Georgetown student-athletes have quite the upgrade from their corner space tucked away in in the Yates Field.

Georgetown University