Is Georgetown’s preferential admission of slave descendants enough?

DeGioia’s decision has got people talking

If you’ve been on Facebook recently, you’ve probably stumbled upon at least one article about Georgetown’s new admissions policy for descendants of the slaves that the University sold in 1838.

The University announced that in order to compensate for its historical ties to slavery, it will now offer all descendants of slaves who benefitted the University preferential admission to Georgetown – the same leg up applicants with alumni legacy receive.

Additionally, President DeGioia announced his plan to create a public memorial to honor the slaves, and to establish an institute dedicated to studying slavery. The big question is, is this enough?

Most elite universities, including the majority of the Ivy League Schools and the University of Virginia, have also recognized their ties to the slave trade. But President DeGioia’s decision to grant slave descendants preferential status with respect to admission seems to be unprecedented. His gesture is a step in the right direction and is popular among the student body.

But not everyone really seems to be happy, they believe that Georgetown should also provide scholarships and financial aid to the descendants, especially in light of the University’s 4% increase in tuition this year.

Georgetown is known for generous financial aid packages, granted on demonstrated need and would probably apply to some of the slave descendants as well.

It seems, nothing the University does will ever be deemed “enough” by everyone. We shouldn’t stop trying to offer any sort of compensation, but doing it effectively is not easy. There can’t be a “price” on the hardships the slaves inevitably suffered. Even if Georgetown did guarantee financial compensation, can that really compensate for decades of strife?

What about other minorities and groups that have been oppressed in the past. Slaves not directly affiliated with the University suffered too – should their ancestors get preferential treatment? What about Native Americans?

One Facebook comment on the New York Time’s article reads “I’m Irish, where’s my apology for my family being enslaved in England and then in New York?” Another says, “What about all the Chinese slaves that built our railroad system? Shouldn’t their families get a break in tuition?”

There is certainly more work to be done,  but President DeGioia’s unparalleled approach to atonement is groundbreaking, and that has to be applauded.

Georgetown University