Where to take your parents to dinner on the Hilltop

i-Thai is king

As Hoyas head back to the Hilltop from a summer at home or abroad, in most cases, they bring their parents along. And when there are parents, there is most likely a free meal. In order to maximize your parents’ visit to D.C., we’ve put together a few places you should consider making a reservation.

Kapnos

One of Mike Isabella’s creations, Kapnos is my personal favorite. Serving up delicious Greek tapas, you are sure to wow your parents with your new sophisticated taste. Look how mature you are discovering other cultures. Although a fifteen-minute Uber away from campus, this restaurant is worth the drive to spend some quality time over quality food with the ‘rents. Call ahead for a reservation on weekend nights, because everyone knows Kapnos is the place to be on a Friday.

Kafe Leopold’s

Tucked away in Cady’s Ally off M Street, Kafe Leopold’s is a quaint Austrian bakery. This restaurant is perfect for a quick brunch with parents in between classes or before heading out into the city for sight seeing. Don’t miss out on the pastry basket, and I personally recommend the Tyrolean wine soup. Kafe Leopold’s also serves a great lunch and dinner. Maybe go for all three meals in the day if your parents are paying?

Old Ebbitt Grill 

This grill is one of the Clyde’s Restaurant Group’s restaurants. A few blocks from the White House, this could be the perfect place to eat before or after a tour of the White House or a walk down the National Mall. Old Ebbitt serves up tasty American grill food. Their salmon burger and fries are a particular highlight. Make a reservation online before you go, especially if you’re going for a weekend brunch, as Old Ebbitt can be hectic.

i-Thai 

If you’re looking to spice up Thai restaurant night and stray off from the beaten path (aka Mai Thai), walk down towards the end of M Street to i-Thai. i-Thai serves up authentic Thai food and superb sushi. Plus, they have an awesome covered patio on the second floor – perfect for romantic dates with your parents, because let’s face it, they’ve been your A1 since day one.

Il Canale

Il Canale is perfect for those parents (or siblings) with hard to please palates. You can’t go wrong with Italian. They serve up crunchy thin crust, wood fired pizza and yummy pastas. My roommate and her parents always make a point of going out to Il Canale – the only Italian place to please her Italian (from Jersey) father.

Georgetown University