Unofficial guide to having the time of your life in DC this summer

Summer Lovin’ in DC

Much like Danny Zuko in the fall of 1958, you’ll probably want to be able to look back on this summer as having been a total blast. You already got the first step done, finding yourself in one of the most active and exciting cities in the country and even the world. Now all you need are a few pointers to know where all the fun and entertainment is, so here is a list of suggestions for things to do over the summer–some are specific to this time of year, and they are meant to cover a large range of tastes and interests.

Walk around U Street 

The “U street Corridor” refers to a nine-block stretch of the street with the same name, and it hosts many restaurants, music venues, night clubs, shops and art galleries. As a center of arts, culture and music, the corridor is home to renowned music venues like the 9:30 Club, Black Cat and U Street Music Hall. Also within these blocks, you can find great food in places like Ben’s Chili Bowl and Busboys and Poets (Busboys and Poets is also one of my favorite places to visit in the entire city, aside from serving delicious food, they have a bookstore full of provoking material, weekly open mics and routine slam poetry shows). 

Try the international food

After all, you’re in a city of diplomats and internationalists. Le Diplomate is good enough that my French professor recommended it (and you know how the French get about their food). Das Ethiopian is an amazing immersion in (you guessed it) Ethiopian food, loved among the Georgetown community. Maketto is a unique experience: part delicious Cambodian food, part street-wear store. El Centro D.F. is a great venue with a brilliant atmosphere. The food isn’t as good as my mom’s cooking (sorry, I’m actually Mexican) but it’s as good as it gets North of Texas.

Go to Jazz in the Park

I recently discovered this and it’s already one of my favorite things to do in DC. Every Friday from 5 to 8:30 pm, the National Sculpture Garden hosts a series of free, live jazz music shows. As an added bonus they sell all types of snacks and good food you can carry around and decently priced pitchers of beer and summer red wine. People enjoy sitting by the fountain or walking around an looking at the sculptures. You can even bring your own food and blankets and have a relaxing picnic.

Kayak around Georgetown

Key Bridge Boathouse offers kayaks and paddle boats to go cruising in the Potomac river. You can go upstream and appreciate the natural beauty of the area, or paddle downstream and enjoy some amazing and unique views of the city. You can even row around Roosevelt Island or all the way to the Lincoln Memorial. The best part is, when you’re done you can venture up to M street and have a bite. Much like U street, M is covered in shops and restaurants, and is even better known for its commercial attractiveness.

You can go to common popular spots like Chipotle, Shop House and Johnny Rockets, or you can venture into nicer bars, pubs and restaurants. Old Glory is well known for its hamburgers and beers. Clyde’s fried chicken is the stuff of legends.  Moby Dick is a great Kebob place, and Pizzeria Paradiso is a really nice venue with great paninis. Il Canale has some of the best Pizza in DC, and they’ll even be nice enough to switch cheese with some other protein if you’re lactose intolerant (trust me, it’s a struggle).

Metro to the Verizon Center

I know, I know… both the NBA and NHL seasons are over, but we still got the WNBA! You can get fairly cheap tickets to go watch the Mystics home games. It’s a great show and the ladies play hard. The best part is, the area surrounding the Verizon Center is covered with good food, drinks and fun activities. Within two blocks of the Verizon are the National Art Gallery, the International Spy museum and my favorite movie theater in DC, Regal Gallery Place. One block further and you find yourself in the middle of China Town. You can take a cool picture at the golden gate that marks its entrance, get some great authentic food and have some fun in Wok and Roll Karaoke Bar. If you’re trying to have a drink after the game, there are also some good options for that. Bar Deco is a great choice, with great food and top quality craft beers. Clyde’s is also a local favorite, or if you just want a bite before walking into the arena, you can get a great burger at Fuddruckers. 

Check out AdMo

Finally, go to Adams Morgan. You should probably already know this one as it’s what most kids talk about these days, but it’s something that you need to do for your DC experience to be complete. Going to places like Shenanigan’s and Madam’s Organ, you’re guaranteed to have a great night. Just walking down 18th street you’re bound to find an establishment of your liking, and you can always bounce around and check out other bars. Added bonus: really good and really big slices of pizza are guaranteed to be somewhere close by. 

Georgetown University