Studying abroad as a Brit at Georgetown was the best decision I ever made

I’m going to miss it

I arrived at Georgetown at the end of last August. I was excited about studying in America but I was also pretty bewildered when I got to the main gates. It seemed nothing like university back home in Edinburgh (I was right). I also wasn’t totally convinced by the enthusiasm of the students dancing and singing as I walked onto campus for the first time.

It has been almost eight months now since then and I can’t believe how quickly my exchange year has gone. I’ve had so many amazing experiences and I’m even starting to get the whole school spirit thing.

I’m a History and Government major so Washington made a lot of sense when I was applying for my study abroad. Getting to live here during the run-up to the Presidential election has been really interesting and I’m sad I won’t be here in November.

I think at Georgetown it is easy to forget that you are living in such a great city. The Georgetown bubble is a real thing. There’s so much to do in DC though and I’ve really enjoyed exploring. I managed to find my way to the arboretum recently, which is worth checking out if you haven’t been.

I’m a huge music fan so I’ve been to a few concerts and gigs. Getting to see Drake at Landmark was definitely a highlight. Watching Kendrick Lamar at the Kennedy Center was even better (never thought I’d see Kendrick perform with an orchestra). I’ve also loved going to smaller venues such as 9:30 Club, DC9 and the Rock & Roll Hotel. I didn’t really think DC would have such a good music scene but so many great artists come here.

When I got to Georgetown I quickly realised that the social life here mostly revolved around societies and sports teams. Having played in musical ensembles for most of my life, I was really interested in joining the Georgetown Pep Band. Pep Bands are not a thing in the UK. In films sure. In real life? Nope. So I thought I’d try it out.

I saw more basketball matches in one year than I’ll probably see in the rest of my life, performed on Good Day New York with the band in Madison Square Gardens, and met so many wonderful people. When studying abroad it is often difficult to meet locals (even when you’re surrounded by them and they speak the same language), so it’s  a good idea to join a society if you really want to embrace another culture.

Getting to travel was probably the best part of my exchange year. Being able to just get on a bus and visit New York for a weekend has been a luxury that I’m going to miss. I got to see Haim at the New Yorker festival, check out so many art galleries and see the Hoyas play at the BIG EAST tournament.

I also got to visit Chicago which is now one of my favourite cities in the world. Not so sure about that deep dish pizza though. It’s not really a pizza, let’s face it.

Studying in America was not what I expected. Actually living in America is such a different experience to just visiting. I’m still not entirely sure why everyone wears Georgetown apparel everywhere they go (I even saw a guy in a Williamsburg bar with a Jack the Bulldog hoodie on). Rooming also really isn’t a thing in the UK and I wasn’t really sure what to expect but there’s every chance you’ll make a friend for life.

I’m so glad that I stepped out of my comfort zone and headed across the pond. If you’re thinking about study abroad this fall or next spring, definitely do it.

I’m going to miss Georgetown.

Georgetown University