Jameis Winston is under another investigation for sexual misconduct

He’s being accused of groping an Uber Driver

The NFL is investigating Jameis Winston for allegedly groping an Uber driver in 2016.

The Uber driver, named Kate, said the incident occurred early in the morning of March 14th, when Winston "reached over and he just grabbed my crotch" while going through a drive-through, according to BuzzFeed.

The NFL's special counsel sent a letter to Kate, telling her "The league takes allegations of this nature very seriously and has opened an investigation into this matter."

Jameis then published a statement on Twitter, reading:

"A news organization has published a story about me regarding an alleged incident involving a female Uber driver from approximately two years ago. The story falsely accuses me of making inappropriate contact with this driver. I believe the driver was confused as to the number of passengers in the car and who was sitting next to her. The accusation is false, and given the nature of the allegation and increased awareness and consideration of these types of matters, I am addressing this false report immediately. At the time of the alleged incident, I denied the allegations to Uber, yet they still decided to suspend my account.

I am supportive of the national movement to raise awareness and develop better responses to the concerns of parties who find themselves in these types of situations, but this accusation is false. While I am certain that I did not make any inappropriate contact, I don’t want to engage in a battle with the driver and I regret if my demeanor or presence made her uncomfortable in any way."

This is Winston's second formal sexual misconduct investigation, the first being the notorious sexual assault allegation from then-fellow FSU student Erica Kinsman. Kinsman filed a sexual battery incident report with the school in December of 2012, and the subsequent investigation sparked national controversy.

The New York Times called the investigation "flawed," and State Attorney Willie Meggs announced that no charges would be filed just nine days before Winston won the Heisman trophy and a month before Florida State won the National Championship. The Times also found that the investigator on the case had previously worked for the Seminole Boosters, a major source of funding for FSU Athletics and a contributor to the President's salary.

The Tab will update the story as more information unfolds.

Florida State University