The clueless kid’s guide to FSU parents’ weekend

You can’t take your mom to Baja’s

It's that time of the year again when moms and dads from across the map congregate at Florida State to see what their studious little book-worm really does up here. This weekend is about showing off the best version of yourself to your parents, and although you may consider that to be when you are dancing your face off at Standard or shoulders-deep in a y-bomb, it wouldn't hurt to hold off on all of that for a little bit.

If you don't know what else to do in this town, fear not. Here is a guide full of places to eat, things to do, and events happening this weekend that will ensure an awesome time that your parents will enjoy, and so will you.

Where to eat

Andrew's Capital Grill & Bar

For casual dining but exceptional food, take your parents to Andrew's Grill and Bar on Adams Street. There is indoor and outdoor seating and an extensive menu with anything you could possible be in the mood for.

Pitaria

Image may contain: Meal, Food, Breakfast, Cup

Treat your parents to something different. This classic Tallahassee joint is the king of authentic mediterranean cuisine. You can pretend you're on a family vacation to Santorini as you bite in to a tzatziki-drizzled gyro under the blue, canvas umbrellas outside. Pro-tip: don't look across the street at the Strip, as this may be counter-productive to the whole "Santorini" vibe.

The Edison

Arguably the most aesthetically pleasing restaurant in town, The Edison sits at the top of Cascades Park in what used to be a 1920s power plant. Wine and dine your parents with chic dishes like the Filet au Poivre that comes topped with a cognac cream.

Table 23

Another trendy option, Table 23 is the epitome of extravagant southern charm. Chandeliers and crimson curtains decorate the inside, but patrons often opt for the outdoor porch that sits under christmas-light strung tree branches.

Outdoors

Lake Ella

Image may contain: Water, Fountain

Swans, ducks, and food trucks come together at this oasis on North Monroe. Play board games over some espresso at Black Dog Cafe, or grab some snow cones at Big Easy Snowballs and sit in the gazebo at the end of the lake.

Alfred B. Maclay Gardens State Park

A hidden gem that will fulfill all of your Secret Garden fantasies, this botanical garden is a historic site that spans over 1,100 acres. Be sure to find the rectangular pool at the end of the garden for a great photo-op.

Downtown Marketplace Farmer's Market

Image may contain: Bazaar, Fruit, Produce, Market, Toy, Teddy Bear

Catch the farmer's market while it's still here, as it's only in town from March through November. Stock up on homemade cookies, locally grown vegetables, hand-knitted blankets, and everything in between. The market always has live music too, and is open on Saturdays from 9am-2pm.

Events

The Flying High Circus

Parents' weekend isn't done right without a visit to the FSU Flying High Circus. This 60-year-old circus delivers a brilliant show year after year at parents' weekend, sure to leave the audience amazed. There are two performances Friday night at 6pm and 9pm. Be sure to get to there early before tickets run out.

Parents' Weekend 5k Fun Run

What better way is there to show off the campus to your family than to run a 5k through it? Get moving on Saturday at the Parents' Weekend Fun Run. Register at the table in the Oglesby Union Krentzman Lounge at 9am before the race.

Florida State vs. Syracuse

Image may contain: Crowd, Arena

If there is one necessary activity to do on Parents' Weekend, it's hands down the football game. Nothing will put you and your parents in the seminole spirit quite like being among the sea of garnet and gold at Doak. Tickets are still on sale online.

Lynyrd Skynyrd

The rock legends are coming to town just in time to let your parents relive their glory days. Grab some refreshments and sprawl out on the green of Cascades Park, while belting out "Sweet Home Alabama" with your mom and dad.

Downtown Getdown

Each Friday night before a home game, Downtown hosts a big block party with food trucks, merchandise tents, music, games, and more. This is also a great opportunity for your parents to catch views of Westcott Fountain at night, down College Avenue.

North Florida Fair

Visit the North Florida Fair for where you can reminisce childhood fun with your parents by your side. The fair comes only once a year and you wouldn't want to miss out on all of the funnel cakes and deep fried Oreos waiting there for you. Tickets at the fair gates are only $8 for adults.

Night life

Friday Night Block Party at College Town

Go block-party hopping from Downtown Getdown, over to College Town for their Friday Night Block Party. Madison Street is closed off and College Town's favorite restaurants open their doors so people can eat, and then jump outside to catch the live performance on the stage at the end of the street. This Friday will feature a performance by country singer Jon Langston.

The Wine Loft

Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Smile, Portrait, Face, Human, Person, People

For the wine connoisseur parents, Wine Loft is a cozy get-away on Thomasville Road with all of the wine and charcuterie one could ever want. Slip in for a drink and appetizers before your dinner reservations to start the night off right.

The Brass Tap

This is the place where sports pub meets sophistication, and is the perfect alternative bar to take your parents for a fun time that doesn't involve hoards of under-aged students nagging bartenders. With two locations in town, on Gaines Street and Thomasville Road, both spots have live music and TV screens to catch live games.

Level 8 Lounge

The most elegant bar in town, Level 8 Lounge is located on the rooftop of Hotel Duval and boasts the most amazing views of the city. Sit down and relax with your parents on the outdoor couches with a martini in hand for the full James Bond effect.

Best of luck, you got this!

Florida State University