Teen with Down syndrome given honorary bid at FSU Phi Delt

‘Brother after brother took him under their wing, making him feel so safe and loved’

Last week, Ava Ancelin and her younger brother Arik, who has Down Syndrome, were at Phi Delta Theta, when the brothers presented Arik with an honorary bid.

Ava, Arik, and Phi Delt president Derek Stanley

Ava's Facebook post about the gesture from the brothers and Arik's reaction soon went viral, with over 15,000 shares.

Ava's viral Facebook post

Arik is 15 and came to visit Ava in Tallahassee for a taste of the 'real' college experience. After spending the day at Ava's sorority's philanthropy, Homers and Hogs, the siblings went to Phi Delt, where "Brother after brother took him under their wing, making him feel so safe and loved," and Arik was presented with the bid.

Ava said in her Facebook post,

"We so easily get caught up in the social aspect of Greek life, but things like this are what it's really about. In a world full of hate and discrimination, I feel so honored and lucky to be involved in a community full of love and kindness like this. Arik will now always feel confident and welcome knowing he is a brother of Phi Delta Theta and that is something I am eternally grateful for."

More to follow.

Florida State University