FSU ranked in the top 50 best public universities

We’ve moved up five spots since last year

In the 2018 Best Colleges Rankings released Tuesday by U.S. News and World Report, Florida State tied with Michigan State University, North Carolina State University, the University of California-Santa Cruz and the University of Delaware for 33rd best public university in the United States.

With rankings of #38 in 2017 and #43 in 2016, FSU has jumped ten spots in just the past two years.

FSU's rise in the rankings likely stem from our increase in graduation rate in the past few years; as of Spring 2017, our four-year graduation rate was 65.3%, and our six-year graduation rate was 80%. Our freshman retention rate is 93%, which ranks eighteenth in the nation.

Rankings are calculated based on seven factors: graduation rates and freshman retention rates (which weighs 22.5%); an assessment of excellence, which takes into account peer and high school counselor assessment (22.5%); faculty resources (20%); student selectivity (12.5%); financial resources (10%); the difference between actual and predicted graduate rates (7.5%); and alumni giving (5%).

The undergraduate business program ranking, based on peer assessment, moved up fourteen spots to #27 among public universities.

FSU ranks #81 among all universities in the U.S. which is an eleven-spot jump since last year's #92.

Florida State's goals of being a top 25 university seem to be well within reach with the release of these new rankings.

For more information about the rankings system, or to view rankings for other universities, visit usnews.com/best-colleges.

Florida State University