Austin Harrouff hospital interview with Dr. Phil finally released

Harrouff apologizes to the families of his victims while crying

The video interview showing 20-year-old Austin Harrouff, visibly distraught from a hospital bed, talking to Dr. Phil was released Tuesday morning. From what appears to be the front camera of his phone on Facetime, he speaks to Dr. Phil without his attorneys present. The voices of his parents can be heard in the background later on in the video.

The video comes after Harrouff’s attorneys filed an emergency motion to block the requested release of the interview. They claimed that it sensationalizes the details of his case prior to the trial, which may make it harder for the accused to receive a fair trial. Their motion was denied, and the tape was released.

In the interview, Harrouff claims that after leaving dinner, a demon who he calls “Daniel”, began to chase him. If true, this may provide further insight to Harrouff’s diminished mental capacity at the time of the incident. When asked if he believed he was mentally ill, Harrouff replied, “I guess so”. Dr. Phil continued on with the interview asking if he wanted to hurt people, and if he intended to hurt the neighbor that came to rescue the victims, but Harrouff claimed he had no memory of that part of the incident.

When asked about what he had ingested in the garage, Harrouff told Dr. Phil he could not talk about that. Although Dr. Phil continued to pry, asking what the doctors told his family was the cause of him being in a coma and possibly could have burnt his esophagus, Harrouff refused to answer.

Dr. Phil questioned him about his possible use of “flakka”, bath salts, and steroids, all of which he denied ever using or seeing. While Harrouff states he doesn’t “remember thinking anything” after dinner, and that his thoughts were a blur, he was able to recall that he began seeing “Daniel” about five minutes before he arrived at the house of the victims. While not being able to muster a clear image of “Daniel”, as he only saw his figure and no features, Harrouff claims to have heard him say “Hey Austin”. This frightened him and he began to run looking for help. It was after this occurred that he found the open garage at the home of the victims, John Stevens and Michelle Mischcon.

It was during the 14-minute mark of the video, where Harrouff began to apologize for his actions to the family of the victims, and then started to cry. Dr. Phil requested the 20-year-old to look into the camera and speak to the victim’s families. Austin Harrouff began to sob uncontrollably while claiming the events have been “like a nightmare”, and that he never wanted this to happen.

Austin Harrouff is currently facing a first degree murder charge, which makes him eligible for the death penalty in Florida.

Florida State University