Every question we’ve always wanted to ask whoever calls the shots at FSU

Why is there no parking? Why are you like this?

Hannah Montana once said “nobody’s perfect,” and thus even the most perfect univeristy has its flaws. Florida State might be golden in our eyes, but there are still times when we can’t help but see red.

Whether we are screaming about parking or wondering what in the world our tuition is even paying for, there are still some things that make us scratch our heads.

How long do the student have to complain about parking before things change?

The downfall of Florida State is the illogical parking situation. Students have pointed out that there are quite literally not enough spaces on campus for the entire student body, and even though it is assumed that not all students drive there is still not enough to accommodate the portion that does.

There have been endless memes, articles, complaints, campaign promises, anything else you could possibly think of rallying for improvements. Buildings have been torn down and spaces have been cleared, but it seems that campus continues to fore-go parking appeasement for the sake of more dorms and more dining halls.

On top of that, why do you keep surrendering student parking to business conferences?

It is assumed that off-campus students have to account for both their commute to campus as well as the varying time it takes them to find parking once they have arrived. This varies from student to student, but the ease it takes to get to class will never compare to that of on-campus students. Most students accept their fate as to where they will be parking after studying the trends for the first couple of weeks. With that said, students put their fate into campus traffic and pray nothing has changed.

However, multiple times this semester, and in semesters past, students have arrived to campus discovering that parking spaces, specifically student parking spaces, have been blocked off for people who aren’t even students. There have been many occasions where several floors in their entirety have been blocked off from students. Thus, causing students to try and rework their perfectly timed out morning routine, park all the way on the other side of campus, and most likely be late to class.

Why is it so difficult to swipe into Strozier? 

I’m out here trying to study and be a good student, but in reality my biggest challenge is just getting in the door. It’s like you’re trying to keep me from studying. I honestly cannot recall a time where I’ve walked up, swiped right in, and got to studying. It always takes me  a solid three attempts, a line has to form behind me, and I have to question if I’m going to break my card in half because I’m “pulling the card towards me” as the informative paper on the machine says before I am allowed inside. I question both my education level and my actual desire to study in the two minutes it takes me to just inside to get my higher education.

And then you make me go through it again when I leave. I just busted my butt and burnt my brain all night long, and you rub in my defeat one last time before I can leave? I’m just trying to go home and cry a little about it. I didn’t want to have to do it in the middle of the Strozier lobby.

Why are Smith’s lights still on when no one’s home?

Smith Hall will be the ghosts of student’s dorm past until it faces the same fate of its friend Kellum. Students no longer suffer the same fate of living in Smith as they once did (and for that, they thank you), but since there’s no one left to roam the halls, why are the lights still on?  Smith’s a big building, one of one of the biggest dorms on campus, so it must take a lot of electricity to keep it lit. This makes many students, myself included, wonder why their tuition money is going to funding an abandoned building.

Why is the Chick-Fil-A on campus not full service?

It’s a sad day freshman year when you’re homesick and just want some comfort, so you go to Chick-Fil-A to fill all your voids and order a four count chicken strip meal, but it quickly becomes someone’s “pleasure” to shut you down. No strips, no clubs, no chicken salad. I can’t deny that it warms my heart knowing that even a small portion of one of the best fast food restaurants is just steps away on campus, but it does sting a little knowing some chicken demographics are not represented.

How about we take some of the money used to light Smith and use that to add some chicken strips to the menu?

Florida State University