FSU baseball opens the season ranked third and ready to make some noise in the ACC

February 17th marks the start of the season for the ‘Noles

It’s that time of year, Seminoles fans – the FSU baseball season has arrived. The team opens the season ranked third in the country this weekend against VCU. Baseball pundits across America projected Florida State to be among the best offenses in college baseball. This team will be marching towards May, where they look like favorites to make some noise in the ACC. Playing in arguably the toughest division in baseball, the Seminoles will have to stay tough if they want to succeed.

Arguably the best hitter on the team, 3B Dylan Bugsby looks to improve on his team – leading 14 home runs. He has been the model of consistency for FSU, hitting .323 without missing a game.

All Gold Everything #garnetgoldgame2016

A post shared by Cal Raleigh (@calboy35) on Oct 13, 2016 at 8:31am PDT

Not far behind in terms of consistency is catcher Cal Raleigh. He hit 10 homers, 50 runs batted in and an insane .412 OBP. As a freshman, the young catcher has people wondering if he can match the brilliance of former ‘Noles star Buster Posey.

Another up and coming stud is making noise at shortstop. Taylor Walls made a huge leap to the limelight last season, improving his batting average by about 100 points. 3B Bugsby and SS Walls have both been named part of the Golden Spikes Award watch list. The last to win it for FSU is the aforementioned legend, Buster Posey, when he won the award in 2008.

FSU will begin the year with Drew Carlton, Cole Sands and Tyler Holton at the top of their rotation. Carlton led the team with eight wins last season. Holton is sure to compete for the team lead in wins this season, as he averaged over a strikeout per inning with an impressive 2.79 ERA last season.

@fsubaseballeq- 17 days until these start poppin'

A post shared by Florida State Baseball (@nolebaseball) on Jan 31, 2017 at 2:06pm PST

After a somewhat successful year last season, the Seminoles placed second in the Atlantic but fourth overall in the ACC. With many up and coming stars, it may be time for this team to stay near the top of the rankings throughout the season.

It’s easy to trust the 38-year coach Mike Martin to lead this talented bunch. Matchups against rivals UM, UF and Clemson will all help sharpen this team and their championship dreams. Come out to Dick Howser Stadium as the ‘Noles attempt to win their second ACC title in three years. The most notable competition is Florida. The Gators are ranked one spot ahead of FSU to start the season.

As always, we trust this team to prove better than their interstate rivals. Here’s to a great year!

Florida State University