Your official unofficial Florida State University dictionary

Read up freshmen, Recess ain’t just for kids

At times, it’s easy to take the closely-threaded community we have here at Florida State for granted. When we travel back home or Facetime our high school friends to tell them about our experiences throughout campus and the surrounding city, those who are unaware of our terms and nicknames find themselves utterly confused.

It’s a product of a student body who pride themselves on the spirit of their school and an inkling towards which bar has the lowest cover that night. However, the communication difficulty still remains for those who are un-informed.

Therefore, we’ve created an (un)official dictionary for Florida State University.

Chop

• Real World (RW): v. to cut something into small pieces
  • Florida State University (FSU): n. a movement of the right arm from straight to a right angle, representing unity among the Seminole community

Coliseum

• RW: n. a large theatre
  • FSU: n. probably the trashiest club in Tallahassee

Club

• RW: n. place you dance and party; n. a large stick typically used to bang something
  • FSU: n. anywhere a lot of FSU students gather (Club Pub, Club Stroz)

Down Under

• RW: n. another term for Australia
  • FSU: n. a campus club that hosts fun activities and bands you’ve never heard of but like

Fisher

• RW: n. one who fishes
  • FSU: n. otherwise known as Jimbo Fisher, FSU’s current football coach

Fountain

• RW: n. a form of decorum in a body of water that spews out the water in an aesthetically pleasing way
  • FSU: n. a pool

Gator

• RW: n. an abbreviation for alligator, also known as a ferocious, carnivorous reptile
  • FSU: n. a mortal enemy

Gordo’s

• RW: n. the Spanish word for fat
  • FSU: n. where you actually do get fat on medianoche and wasted on smashes

Green

• RW: adj. a color produced by mixing the primary colors blue and yellow
  • FSU: n. a bountiful meadow referred to as Landis filled with happy puppies and plush grass for lounging

Leach

• RW: v. the action of draining through soil or another similar material
  • FSU: n. a gym that’s always crowded

Legacy

• RW: n. something passed down from a predecessor
  • FSU: n. a pathway that runs from Bellamy to the farthest reaches of the psychology building

Library

• RW: n. a place where you go to rent books
  • FSU: n. a quaint place called Strozier which offers the finest couches and Starbucks for all of your bed and breakfast needs

Madison Social

• RW: n./adj. your extroverted friend, Madison
  • FSU: n. where wedges and alcohol come together to party at night, and reconvene in the morning for brunch

Dudes Covered in Glitter

• RW: n. that doesn’t happen
  • FSU: n. the Garnet and Gold guys

Moon

• RW: n. the earth’s natural satellite
  • FSU: n. a suave club and concert venue

Mountain

• RW: n. a large natural elevation of the earth’s surface rising abruptly from the surrounding level
  • FSU: n. what you must climb to get to your class in Diffenbaugh every day

Oh

• RW: exc. an exclamation that signifies surprise, discontent, etc.
  • FSU: n. the only word you need to know to sing the war chant

Palace

• RW: n. a place where people of a high class live in extravagance
  • FSU: n. a grimy dive bar where dreams come true

Pitcher

• RW: n. a large container used to hold liquids
  • FSU: n. $8 worth of alcohol at happy hour

Pots

• RW: n. things you cook with
  • FSU: n. bar to get wasted in and the epitome of FSU party culture

Pub Sub

• RW: n. some odd combination of a bar that also sells sandwiches
  • FSU: n. the perfect concoction of bread, meats, vegetables, and sauces; there is nothing like this in the world

Railroad Square

• RW: n. a railroad in the shape of a square that would be nearly impossible for a train to actually use
  • FSU: n. an industrial art park

Recess

• RW: n. a time for children to play typically during the school day and; n. a break in a courtroom/meeting
  • FSU: n. a place you’ve probably spent many a Tuesday night

Renegade

• RW: n. a person who betrays a group or principles
  • FSU: n. Osecola’s steed and best friend

Rez

• RW: n. an informal version of the word “reservation”, otherwise known as an area set aside for Native North Americans to live
  • FSU: n. an accumulation of outdoor activities from kayaking and paddle boarding to a ropes high course

Strip

• RW: v. an action that involves taking off one’s clothes; n. a piece of something removed
  • FSU: n. a greasy yet classic collection of bars and clubs notorious for its close proximity to FSU’s campus

Taboo

• RW: n. something you should not speak of
  • FSU: n. *Tabu, also known as the second trashiest club in Tallahassee

Thrash

• RW: v. to beat someone constantly with a whip; n. a brash, loud movement involving the hitting of something repeatedly
  • FSU: n. a trendier way of referring to FSU’s president, John Thrasher

Traditions

• RW: n. a belief system or practice that is passed down from generation to generation
  • FSU: n. a dormitory that has actually has a fridge that you can fit your food in

Union

• RW: n. a bringing together of a group of people or idea
  • FSU: n. a gathering center where you can get sushi and a pizza and only have to walk ten feet

Warehouse

• RW: n. a large building in which industrial goods are stored
  • FSU: n. a dive bar and platform for poets

Warhorse

• RW: n. a large, powerful horse ridden in battle
  • FSU: n. a whiskey bar on Gaines street
Florida State University