It’s a month into 2017 and I’ve already failed at ‘new year, new me’

I didn’t even last a week

Before our return to campus, many of us sat down and had a reflective chat with ourselves. The conversation probably started with us reminiscing on the abysmal good times of 2016, followed by a declaration of new beginnings come the new year.

Much like you all, I too sought to turn my life around in the coming year, and after a nice, humbling first month of 2017 I can successfully say I failed at every single one of my New Years resolutions.

Not eating Chick-fil-A three times a week 

This was a rough resolution that was broken about 3 days into 2017. My resolution was to just cut down my Chick-fil-A intake, but after my first encounter less than a week later I had a late night shift at work and quickly made my way to Chick-fil-a upon clocking out. While I would like to say that this resolution only had one strike against it, we’re running on six strikes and it’s been a week.

Actually reading assignments beforehand for class 

I wasn’t even setting myself up for failure by asking myself to read ahead. I was just simply asking myself to do what the professor asked of me, and once again I have failed. I made a strong push through syllabus week- you know, those days of class where we didn’t have to read anything before showing up- and then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Approaching week four of classes, I am 159 pages behind in about 3 different subject areas and have three tests in the next 7 days. It’s ok, I’m ok.

Starting the day before 10 am 

By the graces of higher forces, I have been gifted with a starting class time of 12:30 three times a week. Like any normal student I was obviously excited about sleeping in, or catching up on sleep lost from the night before. But since this new year is all about thriving instead of surviving, I set a goal to wake up before 8am and get work done. Not only have I not woken up before 8am with out the help of someone else, even if I am up before classes, I use my allotted extra time to watch The Office instead of catching up on my work.

Cutting down on how much coffee I buy 

You’d think with all the sleeping in I do it would eliminate my need for caffeine, but it definitely has not. From the moment the ball dropped, I knew giving up Dunkin was going to be one of the biggest hurdles I’d have to overcome. With my “new year, new me” resolutions on the horizon, I could see me achieving my goal. But with Dunkin also conveniently on the same side of the road when I drive to school, I ran head first into this hurdle and have taken the ultimate L. With gift cards from the holidays stacking up in my wallet, I’m blaming my family for this failure.

Going to the gym on a scheduled basis 

I don’t need to say it. You know I failed. However, my 2016 glow up didn’t happen till June, so maybe there is hope after all.

Florida State University