We spoke to FSU cheerleaders about cheerleading becoming an Olympic sport

‘The most rewarding thing about being an FSU cheerleader is wearing ‘Florida State’ across my chest’

If you haven’t heard, last year the International Olympic Committee decided to endorse the International Cheer Union, and has given cheerleading a provisional status for the Olympics. For a sport that is usually reduced to sterotypical high school movies, or Taylor Swift songs, this is a major move in the right direction for cheerleaders everywhere.

At the College Cheerleading National Championships, Florida State cheerleading came in 11th in Division IA Co-Ed and 12th in Division IA All girl. While there is competition on the collegiate level, bringing cheerleading into the spotlight internationally at the Olympics is a game changing decision.

We talked to FSU cheerleaders Chasalyn Asbell from the FSU All-Girl team, Chandler Haligas from the All-Girl team, and Samantha Prinz from the Co-Ed team about this game changing decision.

How do you feel about cheerleading becoming an Olympic sport?

15554629_10208275924591414_1818142890_n

Chasalyn: I am very happy and honored that cheerleading became an Olympic sport. We participate in one of the most dangerous sports in the world that has been constantly overlooked. Finally, we get some credit and people will not realize what cheerleading really is.

Chandler: I think it is a really fantastic addition to the Olympics. Cheerleading just like gymnastics, for most, ends after college. Now athletes can reach past collegiate levels and pursue an Olympic dream!

Samantha: I am so happy to see the sport I grew up with finally getting recognized. I hope cheerleading becoming an Olympic sport shows that it’s more than just wearing big bows and looking pretty. Cheerleading requires hard work and dedication and I’m hoping that this will change people’s views on it.

What do you think about people saying it isn’t a sport? What do you have to say to those people?

15451114_10208279087234066_261976788_n

Chasalyn: When people say cheerleading isn’t a sport it really irritates me because of the amount of time and effort we put into what we do. Me personally I’ve broken several bones participating in cheerleading. Cheerleading isn’t as easy as everyone makes it out to be. And for the people who think cheer isn’t a sport, well I’d like to see you try it then.

Chandler: I can see how it may not appear a sport from the outside. I will be honest with you, but coming from 10 years of gymnastics and training at an elite gymnastics center 36 hours a week, cheerleading has definitely taken a part of how I used to feel whenever I was in gymnastics. We still train a good amount of hours every week and have mandatory workouts. I would definitely justify that it is, indeed, a sport.

Samantha: I think that people shouldn’t knock something down if they’ve never tried it before. It’s easy to assume something isn’t hard or shouldn’t be a sport, but until they try it, I don’t think people should say it isn’t a sport.

Do you see it becoming increasingly more popular now that it is recognized in the Olympics?

15570969_10208275923791394_595491480_n

Chasalyn: I don’t know if the sport itself will become more popular, but I think that more people will be interested and pay more attention to cheerleading.

Chandler: I do see cheerleading becoming much more popular in the future. For myself, I would say it’s very interesting to watch, and I think most people will feel the same.

Samantha: Yes, I think with it being in the Olympics people will realize how great of a sport it is and will want to try it for themselves.

Is attending the Olympics for cheerleading something you would be interested in/aim for now?

Chasalyn: Yes! My dream has to always go to at least one of the Olympics and now that cheerleading is going to be a part of the games that makes me more excited than ever to go!

Chandler: When it comes to the possibility of being an Olympian with cheerleading, I am honestly not sure. I will take it as it comes!

Samantha: Yes, I would love to represent not only my country but the sport as well at the Olympics. I have dedicated 10 years of my life to this sport and it would be very rewarding to make it to the Olympics and show people what cheerleading is really all about.

What is the most rewarding and challenging thing about being an FSU cheerleader?

15497563_10208279087794080_453312400_n

Chasalyn: The most challenging thing about being a cheerleader is finding time for everything you have to do. Me personally I took 5 classes, worked a job, I’m in a sorority and I try to find time for a social life. Sometimes 24 hours just isn’t enough. However, the most rewarding thing about being a cheerleader is when your hard work pays off and 80,000 people are chopping around you to the war chant and fireworks and blasting out of Doak. Also, being such a positive role model to younger kids all over is what I look forward too.

Chandler: The most challenging aspect when it comes to being a Florida State Cheerleader is probably not giving up on yourself when times get really hard. Sometimes it is difficult to retain a good attitude all the time, but luckily that’s when prayer comes in. I would have to say the most rewarding is the fans. The fact that someone like me, so unimportant, can bring a smile to someone’s face, is quite amazing. It’s definitely a rewarding platform for sharing the role that Jesus Christ has and will have in my life. I am so thankful.

Samantha: The most challenging thing would be time management. Between cheering for basketball, football, and volleyball and then adding in school and a social life it can get pretty crazy, but it has taught me to manage my time very well. The most rewarding thing about being an FSU cheerleader is wearing Florida State across my chest. I love being a Seminole and what better way to represent the school I love by doing what I love, cheerleading.

15592091_10208276607208479_153317739_n

What does a typical cheer practice look like for you?

15555971_10208279074153739_1548806325_n

Chasalyn: Well we lift 3 times a week and practice 3 times a week for 3 hours each. I lift from 7am-8am then go to class then cheer practice from 6:30-9:30. We start by stretching and then working on stunts and our routine for the whole practice

Chandler: During football season, practices contained a lot of repetition in our gameday stunting and standing backflips. Sometimes we worked on volleyball and basketball material, and it usually lasts about three hours with an occasional workout at the end of practice.

Samantha: A typical cheer practice for me consists of stunting a lot. I am a top girl so I get thrown in the air while flipping my body and it takes a lot of body control to do these skills.

Florida State University