Brother Jed returns to campus to make this week even worse

‘If you’ve had sex you have a STD – Sexually Transmitted Damnation’

A crowd of about 100 has gathered around Brother Jed and his disciples outside Oglesby Union for another finals week showdown. Brother Jed, a self-proclaimed “Christian Soldier,” is notorious for his hate speech and travels around college campuses “speaking the word of God.” We spoke to a few students in the crowd about his views.

Lola Periwinkle, 19, Sophomore

“Every year they come right before finals to spout bigotry, hateful rhetoric, racism, transphobia and homophobia and it’s gross and the school just allows it.

Lola and Brother Marsh <3

Do you think this is free speech? 

This is hate speech. Sure, you could call it “freedom” but it’s definitely hate and it’s meant to make a lot of people uncomfortable. When you start spouting things like ‘gay people are gross’ or call trans people the T-slur, it really goes past freedom of speech and is just bigotry and hate speech and it’s disgusting. When their religion lets them talk about rape and sending people back to Africa, it’s questionable at best.”

Cecilia Calvert, 19, Freshman

“I feel like he’s just trolling us and he doesn’t believe what he’s saying.”

Alayna Gammons, 19, Sophomore

“I’m offended because I’m bisexual and the things he’s saying I don’t agree with. I completely understand if you don’t share my views but I don’t agree with you saying I’m going to hell because of who I am.”

Brother Jed, self proclaimed Christian Soldier

We spoke to Brother Jed about the reactions to his speech, to which he replied, “They’re all going to Hell.”

More to follow.

Florida State University