A guide to the ultimate Friendsgiving

Step one, make sure someone actually knows how to carve a turkey

Before we all head back to our hometowns to discuss our barely passing grades and lack of a love life with family members we see once a year, we need a Thanksgiving where we can celebrate comfortably, without judgement or shame.

Growing increasingly more popular among millennials, Friendsgiving is a celebration of friendship and comradery. It’s a time to come together with your closest of friends, and eat whatever food you decide to make (probably out of a box) without judgement. It’s just as great as regular Thanksgiving, but without intrusive family members, and a lot more wine. At Friendsgiving, anything goes– here’s your guide to having the ultimate Friendsgiving celebration.

The ultimate squad

Friendsgiving is nothing without the ultimate squad. If you’re going to be in a kitchen cooking with a ton of people who aren’t your family members, you’re going to have to make sure those people are ones you consider your closest friends.

A checklist of bomb Thanksgiving dishes

The tricky part about having a Friendsgiving is the fact you actually have to make your own dishes. The great part about that, though, is you can make whatever you want. If you want to go the tradition route and make staple Thanksgiving dishes, you can. If you want to make boxed mac and cheese and bring boxed wine, there isn’t a soul who can tell you not to. At Friendsgiving, anything goes.

Someone who actually knows how to cook a turkey 

Friendsgiving as a concept is great, until you realize it’s the day before and no one in your friend groups knows how to cook a turkey. If you do decide to have a traditional Thanksgiving feast, you should probably enlist the friend who’s got it together, and actually knows how to cook something besides ramen and PB&J’s.

Someone who actually knows how to carve a turkey 

The turkeys cooked and you’re all ready to eat, until you realize you don’t have knife big enough to carve the thing and you have no idea how what parts to cut off. White meat? Dark meat? Isn’t it the same thing? The good news is there’s a Youtube tutorial for everything these days. Watch a video or two before hand, and you’re good to go.

Lots and lots of wine

Because Friendsgiving or not, it’s not Thanksgiving without wine.

Comfy clothing for when you’ll inevitably fall asleep afterwards

Friendsgiving is the only place you can wear your pajamas to dinner without judgement, and fall asleep wrapped on the couch (or on the floor), without anyone batting any eyelash.

A list of everything you’re thankful for

Like the curve on your latest Chem test, MadSo, Jimbo, and $10 AYCD.

Florida State University