Math professor Annette Blackwelder may be the sassiest professor at FSU

She won’t think twice about roasting you in the middle of class

FSU’s Professor Annette Blackwelder, known as the “Paula Deen of math,”  is honestly one of the greatest parts about Florida State. Oh, how I miss attending her college algebra class at 8am every Tuesday and Thursday. Truth be told, I would wake up every morning wondering who she might roast in class that day.

Would it be that frat boy sitting in the balcony who dared to think he might sneak out of class five minutes early? Or would it be that innocent freshman on the first floor who had the audacity to have her laptop out during class, distracting not only her fellow classmates, but also the queen of math herself, Professor Blackwelder?

Junior Claire Fleitz said, “I distinctly remember she went off on someone during class one day because he was texting in class and was ‘distracting those around him.’ She was right in the middle of a lesson when she just randomly stopped mid-sentence and straight up roasted this kid in front of everyone. If she didn’t call someone out in class, then it just wasn’t a regular day in Blackwelder’s.”

If she wasn’t roasting someone, repeatedly instructing her students to practice, or charming them with her Southern accent, she’d be re-explaining eGrade as if they hadn’t already been using it for the past four months.

Senior Taylor Glaze said, “She’s so adorable, especially with her little Southern accent. She had so many catchphrases that I seriously lost count. Among my favorite were, ‘Ya gotta practice!,’ ‘How do you know? Because I told you so!’ and ‘Plug it in, plug it in!’ There’s no way you could ever leave her class without hearing at least one of those phrases being said.”

Seriously, how could anyone argue Prof. Blackwelder wasn’t one of the highlights of their time at FSU? Countless FSU students would agree, she was one of the best math teachers they’ve ever had, and most definitely the best professor FSU has to offer.

Sophomore Kimber Flemming said, “She’s without a doubt the best and funniest math teacher ever. Math doesn’t always come easy to me, but she makes the material so incredibly easy to follow along to and to understand. I don’t know of any other professor in all of FSU that’s as organized as her. She’s easily my favorite professor I’ve ever had at FSU.”

When asked if she was aware about how numerous students believed she was not only one of the best professors at FSU, but also one of the funniest, Mrs. Blackwelder replied, “I wasn’t aware of this. If it is indeed the case, then I am humbled. It delights me to know that there are those who have succeeded in the class and have enjoyed it along the way. I want to be engaging in class – especially since we teach large lecture classes. I’m pleased if my personality helps. I love teaching math and hope that is evident. My jokes aren’t very funny, but I do try to use a little humor now and again.”

If you’ve never had the opportunity to have her as a professor, make sure to add her college algebra class next semester. Trust me, you won’t regret it.

Florida State University